Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced all the fuel lines in my 67 I6 and developed a fuel leak from the newly repaced carb to fuel pump line a few months later. I just got a replacement line in today and it's still leaking from the same spot. There is no leak from the threads of the fitting or the pump itself, and it appears it is coming from above the fitting, I assume caused by the fitting not seating on the flared end of the line correctly?

I can see fuel bubbling out as I idle but when I turn off the engine it leaks quite a bit more and as I mentioned, appears to bubble out from the top of the fitting. I'm lost as to what to try now and don't want to drive around with this fire hazard.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
I replaced all the fuel lines in my 67 I6 and developed a fuel leak from the newly repaced carb to fuel pump line a few months later. I just got a replacement line in today and it's still leaking from the same spot. There is no leak from the threads of the fitting or the pump itself, and it appears it is coming from above the fitting, I assume caused by the fitting not seating on the flared end of the line correctly?

I can see fuel bubbling out as I idle but when I turn off the engine it leaks quite a bit more and as I mentioned, appears to bubble out from the top of the fitting. I'm lost as to what to try now and don't want to drive around with this fire hazard.

Hi,
Could this be a case of a miss-matched flare angle or something on the fuel pump flare? This is rather unusual in most cases. Is it an OEM fuel pump? When you state "above the fitting", you are meaning the fuel leaks between the line and the fitting, as though the flare is not seating. Are you being too cautious on tightening the nut? The flare on the new line may need to be tweaked? If you know what I mean? Do you have a flare tool?
Just some ideas to consider.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
650 Posts
That could be a dangerous situation.
Could it be the fuel pump housing is cracked above the line? You may not be able to see the crack with the fitting removed; perhaps the crack spreads open when the fitting is torqued.
Also, be sure the sealing surfaces of the flared fittings/line are clean and burr free.

Joe

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I don't know if this is the same leak I had, but I also had a leak that I couldn't solve or locate yet I would end up with fuel at the bottom of my fuel line. It turned out to be a slightly ruptured diaphragm of my fuel pump. Once I replaced the pump the leak went away.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Good Point Ranger! Depending on the trail it's following, that could very well be it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts