Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil plug on my '66 coupe, standard 289, is stripped and leaks if it is not put in just right. That "just right" point is becomng harder to find each time I change the oil. What are my options and what is the best course to take? Can I get a bigger plug, can I wrap the old plug in teflon tape, is it hopeless and I should order a new oil pan?

Lonnie

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
you can get a bigger plug that will cut it's own threds but I would recommed to try a ring of RVT sealer when you drain the oil. Make a thick ring around the edge(not on the threads) wait for it to drive and screw it in.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
When mine did that recently, I decided it was time for a new chrome oilpan/dipstick and of course went ahead and did the timing set/waterpump/new seals. Much better all the way around.Chrome oil pan was only about $40. and the chrome distick was about $7. so go for it ::

G

·
0 Posts
Hey Lonnie...I had the same problem. For some reason I actually paid some yahoo to change my oil once. Don't know if he used an impact wrench or what, but the plug was stripped and leaked. I couldn't live with that. Replace the pan. The hardest part is getting the crossmember out of the way, but that's where an impact wrench really helps. Just be careful with the pan gasket!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts