Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my rear drum last night and my rear drum had axle grease inside it. I pulled the axle and the rear seal looked OK. I am going to replace it anyway since I want to put all new brake hardware and shoes and I don't want it to get contaminated. I also looked in my shop maunal and there shows to be a gasket that goes behind the metal plate that bolts to the axle housing, I do not have one and the auto patrts store does not show one available. Is there a gasket that should go on that metal mounting plate that bolts to the axle housing?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
What you saw was probably grease from the sealed axle bearing, I've had that happen before. If you don't know when the bearing was last replaced it would be a good idea to have a machine shop pressed a new one on now, since you've got the axle out.

The gasket that goes between the axle housing and the drum backing plate is the only one anyone carries anymore, I think. You don't really need the gasket that goes between the retaining plate and the backing plate, IMO. I've R&R'd the axle shafts on all the Fords I've owned(4) for the last 12 years and left that gasket out each time with no problems. But you could make that gasket easy enough if you wanted to put it in, though. . .

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I pulled the axle and the rear seal looked OK.

Axle seals rarely look bad but the lip gets stiff and unresponsive.

Be sure to check the outer seal on the axle bearing too, since you observed grease in the brake area. If failed, lubricant will escape and the bearing will fail.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I am not familiar with the 70 version specifically, but if it is the same as the 71 style, the only way there should be leakage through the backing plat to tube gasket is if the axle seal leaks first.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The axle bearing is not very old. I replaced them when I put in my new 9 inch rear about 2000 miles ago. I am going with a new axle seal, going to drive it some after I clean up the brakes, and see if it works. I will then replace the bearings again if it doesn't. I just want it fixed before I put all new brakes in there. Luckily this is not a driver, it's a weekend cruiser, so I can take my time.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i had the same problem on my 70 mach1. the seal looked fine but felt really stiff. i replaced it and there is no more leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts