Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For no apparent reason, my 65' coupe started leaking tranny fluid. (I think out of the little pan underneath) I think it stopped now, and the dipstick isn't registering it dry... It has been sitting about 4 months now... any reason this may have happened? Will it continue without a fix?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I HAVE A '65 302 & C-4 THAT ALSO LEAKS. USUALLY ONLY WHEN IT GETS HOT. AND ALSO FROM THE FRONT OF THE TRANNY. I DID TRY THOSE TRANNY SEALERS YOU PUT IN BUT THEY DID NOT REALLY HELP. I HAVE TO HAVE THE TRANNY REBUILT AND NEW GASKETS PUT IN. HOPEFULLY THAT WILL HELP AND I WILL BE OUT $600.00 OR SO. GOOD LUCK

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, in the front end of the tranny (The big end, heh), it looks like it is supposed to be completely covered, but only the top half of mine is... , eh?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Having a leaky tranny is almost part of owning a mustang with a C4. The longer it sits, the larger the puddle will get. If you find a good solution please feel free to pass it on.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If it is coming from the front of the tranny, check the dipstick; that is the most common spot, and it will look like it is coming from other places because the windage from driving will push it towards the back of the tranny. To fix this, i put a fairly generous amount of gray silicone around the dipstick before I put it in, and then let it sit and dry without fluid in it for awhile before I started it up again. That hasn't leaked since I did that. There is also some white glue stuff, that if i can remember the name of it, i will post it, that I used on the trans pan gasket, and it doesn't leak anymore either. Anyway, good luck. Leaks on the C4's are common, but it is hard to figure out where they are coming from.

Dave

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awww....was kinda' hoping it could be fixed...but I guess that also means no repair cost, heh

·
Registered
966 Posts
Sounds like you may be missing the inspection plate that covers the lower front portion of the transmission? To my knowledge, having a missing inspection plate shouldn't cause a leak, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts