Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my car close to complete and now it is leaking everything it could possibly leak. I have a three stripped out valve cover holes and they are leaking a bit of oil, the water pump is leaking, the trans is leaking from the shift shaft, power steering has a small leak. I swear I fix one thing and then 2 other problems pop up! It's all new, shouldn't be leaking anything! At least all of these leaks are minor fixes for the most part.

Haha, the joys of a classic car.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That does it you talked me into it i'm getting rid of mind. Just kidding.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
At least it's just leaking from points instead of hemorrhaging rust from everywhere.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Are the threads in the heads for the valve cover bolts stripped or the bolts themselves?...

I'd check to see if the threads are stripped on your timing cover too. Sometimes people stick the wrong bolts back in there when reassembling and it pulls the threads out...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just keep filling the fluids--that way you know you always have fresh stuff in it.

I had a 69 camaro that was perfect underneath---I attribute it to the oil leaks the motor had---no joke

and no I'm not really suggesting you dont fix em

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
I replaced the entire brake system in one of my cars a few years ago, when I tried to bleed it, there were seven leaks. There were twenty-one places it could have leaked, so I guess it could have been worse.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,665 Posts
Jane just likes to leak whenever I install something new. New oil pan gasket? The rear main seal now leaks! New power steering? The radiator inexplicably leaks! New brake system? The differential leaks! :shrug: I just kind of go with it.

Good luck with fixing the leaks. I think the only thing worse than a leak is an electrical problem

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
A simple sacrifice to the god of leaks

When I lived on a Sailboat for years in San Francisco Bay, we used to say that you had to leave one leak (rain leaks not sea water) for the leak gods. Otherwise you get a new one when you fix the old one. My world was great when one day I got a leak right over my bathroom sink which was plumbed overboard. Never had another leak again...

With my English cars, if you leave on electrical thing not working, everything else will work fine for years. Right now its my heater fan which is pretty anemic anyway.

I gave up trying to find/stop my power steering leak on my mustang so I just power wash it once in a while - nothing else leaks...

M

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I replaced the entire brake system in one of my cars a few years ago, when I tried to bleed it, there were seven leaks. There were twenty-one places it could have leaked, so I guess it could have been worse.
LOL, Same deal on my last project. A prebent kit, flared and fittings. This time I'm doing the whole thing myself. Bulk roll of tubing and fittings. A lot cheaper, but we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I gave up on my PS leaks too. New pump, new control valve, new lines...damn thing still leaks. I had a about 5 things leaking when i bought the car, and I'm down to one, so it's a net gain I suppose.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha, good to know it's not just my car that likes to create new problems when fixing other ones!

Are the threads in the heads for the valve cover bolts stripped or the bolts themselves?...

I'd check to see if the threads are stripped on your timing cover too. Sometimes people stick the wrong bolts back in there when reassembling and it pulls the threads out...
Yes, the threads are stripped. Attempting a helicoil fix today along with the water pump! Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I gave up on my PS leaks too. New pump, new control valve, new lines...damn thing still leaks. I had a about 5 things leaking when i bought the car, and I'm down to one, so it's a net gain I suppose.
Most common problem with PS leaks are the hose seats are worn, over compressed or missing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I got the valve cover leaks taken care of; ended up tapping the holes and putting studs in all around. Problem solved. Now I have a fairly large leak from the front and rear of the intake manifold so now we get to fix that! First car show is this Friday 300 miles away so I plan on removing and reinstalling the intake (with just rtv on the ends) by Tuesday. Wish me luck.

As you can see in the pic, my gasket moved a bit. The oil is a different color in the picture because I dyed it to track down a separate leak:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts