Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in a new fuel tank and fuel sender a few years back. Today I put in about 12 gallons of fuel and noticed a strong gasoline smell after parking in the garage for a couple of hours. I looked under the back of the car and fuel was dripping very slowly from where the fuel sender seals to the gas tank. I backed off on the retaining ring a bit and bent the retaining tabs in a smidge then tightened the retaining ring. It looks like the fuel stopped leaking but I'm questioning whether I have it installed correctly. They way the retaining installed now, I can see why it may have backed off a bit causing the leak. Below are some pictures of how it is installed now. Does the retaining ring need to be tightened further so it locks in place with the notch in the retaining tabs? If so I think the fuel sender gasket may be a bit too tall because the retaining ring is very tight as it is currently installed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,944 Posts
IIRC the gasket is actually a square cut o-ring, not a round one. When I install a sending unit I use a hammer and brass rod to drive the retaining ring around until it makes a positive stop against the tabs.

·
Registered
34,194 Posts
It looks like you have it installed properly. The locking tabs on most replacement tanks are the issue. The tops should be parallel to the sealing surface. Yours still look a bit bent upward.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Looking at my own pictures, it does look like I could have bent the retaining tabs a bit more. It was tough working under the car on the ground. When I tightened the retaining ring, I got a nice stop then gave a few more taps to make sure it was seated well. I didn't remove the fuel sending unit and replace the gasket but I did order a new gasket (COAF-9276-A) in case my quick fix doesn't work. I ordered the gasket from a Ford dealer. I hope it fits. If I end up installing a new gasket, I'll go with the Vaseline treatment. I heard that works well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I install my new tank and sending unit a few months ago I had the same issue. I filled up the tank after install and no leaks but a few days later there was a strong gas smell coming from the garage, there was big puddle of gas under the car and boy it was a PIA draining all the gas out of a full tank (3 buckets).

My problem was the tabs on the tank where not bent down enough and it gave way after a couple of days so I just bent them in more and lubed the gasket and all has been good so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts