Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a few posts on the spewing of fuel out the filler neck, obviously a common problem. One I've been frustrated with since buying my '68 in '91.

Been contemplating removing the filler neck, blanking off the existing neck at the cap, and attaching some sort of new cap to the tank in the trunk.

Anyone done this or know if there is an "in trunk" cap/seal that can be mounted to the existing filler port of the tank?

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I would really avoid relocating the gas cap insidde the truck, unless you make it a sealed system since the typical caps is vented.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Just thinking out loud - You know how the opening for cars designed for leaded gas is bigger than the restricted opening for cars designed for unleaded gas? I wonder if the addition of a smaller hole opening inside the filler neck (like newer cars) would act like a bulkhead to prevent or at least reduce this tendency.

·
7,010 Posts
Sounds very plausible.

One time I actually had the hose come completely out of mine while I was under the hood. Luckily when it hit the ground it kicked off...but still I got about a pint of gas shot on the car and ground. THAT problem definitely wouldn't have occured with a filler neck of the proper size (proper for the unleaded nozzle size).

You know...I'm having a vague memory that when the U.S. started switching to unleaded gas...some people had nozzle adaptors they kept in their trunk, so they could use the cheaper regular gas (big nozzles) in their new unleaded cars (small holes).

Although our problem is the opposite deal, all you would need is a plastic filler nozzle sleave that would go around the nozzle and fill up the space between it and the filler tube. It would need a flange on it so it could't slide down the filler tube into the tank.

That might work to fix the problem. Worth a shot anyway. If I had a lathe, I'd make myself one out of some of the Polyethylene scrap pipe we've got laying around work...but I don't. :(

Phil

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Good idea. That might be easier for some, where welding in (out of the car, of course!) a restricted opening might work better for others. I'm pretty sure it would at least help the situation if not eliminate it completely. Why are we posting this on a public forum? Sorry, gotta go contact my patent attorney!!!! ::

·
Registered
383 Posts
Had that problem on my 68 Coupe. Bought a new cap...problem solved. That was in '79. Would be nice if you could change the gasket! As it goes back together I will be shopping for another one.
Mike.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I had been thinking about the smaller hole for the filler neck too. It seems logical that it would help. When I find a spare filler neck for my 67 I will weld a restrictor hole plate in it and see what happens....

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
There's a product out there (that I can't find right now online) that lets overflow gas run off "away from" the car so you're not harming the paint. IIRC, it needs for the fuel neck to stick out a bit so you can slip this doohickey over the top of it. Maybe it could be modified? ::

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. I've thought of the restrictor, was pondering a rubber/gasket seal cut witha hole to allow the nozzle to fit with a bit of a push.

On some Holdens here there is a "bib" type ring that has a lip to drip away fromt he car, but the size is different. Also looking into that angle.

If I did relocate to inside the trunk a vent would be included to the exterior, somehow. Thinking along the lines of a TransAm style upright neck and cap with a vent line, or possibly a "daul cap" arangement where you seal a filler opening in the trunk and leave the existing cap in place by using a wye type neck.

We'll keep looking at this, I hate to think of gas all over the new paint.

But on the bright side, no rubber Cal style vapor emissions here in Oz (yet) so mayber the problem will be less than when I lived in the US!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts