Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my work, I need to train my replacement. I need a protege, a Padawan to become a Jedi, an apprentice. Whatever. New Deputies get trained every year. Time will tell who will become the next overachiever, and rise through the ranks.
At home, I'm raising my sons, hopefully as good boys to become great men.
Now, who will take up the Vintage Mustang torch and carry it another 50 years? Sure, my sons are (prayers here) getting '66 Mustangs as their first car, like me. I hope they love them, and all things that go, as much as I, and be safer and smarter with their cars.
Who will be the next Lee Iacocca?
Who will be the next Bob Fria?
And who will be the next @CHOCK ? The next @Woodchuck ? The next @Mustangerbob1 ? Sorry if I didn't mention you here, but it's not an Academy Awards speech. There are TONS of great minds full of all kinds of information and hands full of calluses and metal shavings, so many here on VMF and even more in the little corners of the world that don't even use the web or a smartphone. Thank you all for giving me a place to come and share. I look at VMF a few times a day now. Sure, they're just cars. But in the spirit of fellowship, with all our differences, we are as unique as our rides.
Who will inherit the spirit of this thing that brings us together? And keep gas in the tank?
1477851809762.jpg

Will it be you?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Both at most car shows I go to and at work I'm constantly told, "It's good to see some young people here." The only problem is I'm 44.

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reactions: watto1

·
Registered
73 Posts
I work for a large public utility so I'm still considered the young buck at work.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
It will be an impossible task getting kids faces away from their cell phones to learn any manual skills.

Reactions: Israel

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@P-51 , I don't get to "shelter in place" or even distance too much, as my job is "essential", but I am grateful to help anyone I can and I take all the precautions I should.
@kechke my wife and I are limiting our sons' cell phone, video game and TV time, they're doing online school work to finish the year, learning to help me do the lawn etc, and we have TWO more 66 Mustangs to work on. I have build threads !

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am also 44. Used to be the Young Buck at work, now I'm a "geezer".
I’m 40 but similar experiences at shows and events. I’ve had my 65 since 2007 and it’s a “forever car” for me but I have wondered if custom parts will begin to become scarce in the next couple of decades.

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...wondered if custom parts will begin to become scarce...
My Dad is a machinist with 55 years' experience and I would love to give him a 3D printer, and I think with advancing technology becoming more affordable, I'm hoping something similar will allow us to make our own parts, or make parts for each other.

·
Vendor
3,877 Posts
I've been deep in the classic car hobby since the day I was born, my dad dragging the family to every 55-57 T-Bird show in the country (four people in a 2-seater T-bird driving cross-country. usually with the top down), and then after 1975 (after acquiring the '68 Shelby) we hit a couple SAAC events, and after that some early MCA events.. And in the early-90's, dad got seriously interested in the AACA show circuit, started collecting American vehicles at a rather alarming rate, and soon-after he got into the concours scene.

Where I'm going with this is that back in the 70's at T-bird shows, it was mostly a gray-haired participation, my dad being one of the rare exceptions..

Now the early MCA shows, THAT had some "youth" to it at first, but that quickly grayed as well.

AACA? Gray

Concours? Gray

Not just today, but in the 90's, the 80's, the 70's, the car-show hobby and the restoration hobby was always dominated by folks who had time on their hands, and a nest egg to spend on it. The younger guys were the outliers since forever ago.

Honestly, if you had asked me back in the 90's whether the hobby would still be chugging like this in 2020, with the same era of vehicles still representing the mainstay (50's-60's-70's), I'd have guessed "probably not".

Somehow, some way, enough new blood keeps generating into the system to keep the heart pumping. But the hobby has always had the "appearance" of being an older person's sport, since I can remember.

Mind you, it's not growing.. But the decline hasn't set in heavily either.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The cruises I've attended I believe I have been the youngest person with a ride there and i'm 36.
On the positive side, I have had a number of younger folk (mid teens to mid twenties) ask me lots of questions about the hard top. I get nothing on the convertible which is kind of sad but it's pretty close to original and that's just not cool to these kids.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,295 Posts
My 9 yo son loves mustangs, but that may be because dad does. At car shows he seems to be drawn to the fox body mustangs so I figured I'd pick him up one for his first car. I try not to push mustangs on him (my dad pushed gm on me and look at me now) but let him decide. I got a year or two before it's crunch time so we shall see.

I will share one story about this subject. My son and I went to the Mustang and Shelby meet a couple years ago in Tulsa and he seen a poster that had all the mustangs on it from 64 to 2004 IIRC at the swap meet. He asked me if he could buy it and i told him to see if he could make a deal on it (I always make him do the talking) the older gentleman that had the booth asked him "What are you going to do with it?" my son replied "Hang it on my wall." to which the gentleman said "Well if you promise you'll put it on your wall you can have it." My son promised and I thanked him and he said "If we don't get the young ones interested these old cars are just going to disappear." I agreed and we went on our way. My son still has that poster on his wall and will not take it down.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm at a stage in my life where I'm starting to plan for my death. (It happens) What to do with the old gray mare is my biggest problem. I don't have any children, and none of my nieces and nephews are interested, even for free. So I don't know what I'm going to do with it. It's pretty much been just sitting around for the last thirty years in a state of benign neglect. After I got into British, then German sports cars, it just wasn't my first choice in most driving situations. But I still liked the car, and had enormous respect for all the faithful and reliable service she had given me, so I kept it around. I've had over fifty cars, and she's still one of my top four favorites. I had always thought I'd do a full restoration as a late-in-life project. But after being hit from behind at a stop sign and having to retire early with little money, that became too expensive. So I'm fixing it up mechanically as much as I can, making it fully functional and reliable, if not exactly beautiful. I'm hoping whoever winds up with it will be satisfied with it as it has been, and keep it mostly stock. I'd hate to read about it here, getting lime green paint and a big-block. She's probably got too much patina for a museum to want it, but is solid and original enough plenty of motorheads would. I just wish someone in my family was one of them. It's been a family vehicle, passed down to me after serving my parents as a second car, and then an older sister. But I might be the end of that line.

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
I worry about what's going to happen to my two cars. I've told my kids that once they finally get the cars (when I'm in the old folks home), they have to keep them until I die. Then they can do anything they want with them. I'm still hoping my grand kids have an interest. I only have 1 and she's 19 months.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have a 9 month old daughter that I'm really hoping i can get to love and appreciate these old cars. My plan is to hold off on doing any of the modifications i'd like to do to the convertible until she's old enough to do them with me. Then maybe hand the convertible over to her...hopefully with 3 pedals too.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts