Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With MU going out of business I grabbed the opportunity to pick up a new steering wheel. Originally my desire was the Moto Lita wheel with the LeCarra Sebring next. So I picked up the LeCarra Sebring for $85 and free shipping. I'm very pleased with the wheel itself but what left me a slightly uneasy is that any references to LeCarra are missing. It the catalog it looks like LeCarra is stamped on one of the spokes. Nothing on my wheel. The box it came in is just a plain white box totally void of any printing what so ever. No stickers or instruction sheet.

I called up MU but they couldn't help or offer any explanation. The good news is the wheel is very nicely made and I like it. Even if it's a knock off, I'm keeping it as it's worth the $85.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I picked up one of those too. Let me know what hub you get to work with that wheel.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I'm on the fence , Kinda been wanting to try a 14" wheel but that is a nice wheel for a great deal
I'm also looking for a 14" as the stock 15" perfectly blocks the view for both the fuel and temp gauges.

·
Registered
36,505 Posts
With MU going out of business I grabbed the opportunity to pick up a new steering wheel. Originally my desire was the Moto Lita wheel with the LeCarra Sebring next. So I picked up the LeCarra Sebring for $85 and free shipping. I'm very pleased with the wheel itself but what left me a slightly uneasy is that any references to LeCarra are missing. It the catalog it looks like LeCarra is stamped on one of the spokes. Nothing on my wheel. The box it came in is just a plain white box totally void of any printing what so ever. No stickers or instruction sheet.

I called up MU but they couldn't help or offer any explanation. The good news is the wheel is very nicely made and I like it. Even if it's a knock off, I'm keeping it as it's worth the $85.
IIRC, there is an unbranded knock-off of the Moto~Lita / Lecarra wheel. Most likely the mount kits and horn buttons for either will work.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
That wheel is the Volante. I bought the same one. I got my hub from NPD as well as the plastic horn button. I am modifying the horn button to accept the 66 hub cap center. Still have to work out the contact scheme, but the tool for holding the button face is currently waiting on my 9x20 lathe for me to get 15 minutes in a row to cut the hole.
I got the wheel because it was cheap and I wanted to replace the Grant in the 65. The wife was not keen on adding wood to the 'all black with chrome appointments' interior. I will end up with the 'wood darker' one so it is more complimentary. The Volante will probably end up in the 67 coupe. Seems like a nicely made wheel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mine is at flashpowerparts.com/wood-wheel-14/437-14-laminated-wood-steering-wheel.html. I think it's similar to the one you linked except for the number of rivets around the perimeter of the wheel.
Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts