Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
LED Halos are not my thing however, I just recently converted to LED nonhalo Headlights from Octane Lighting, definitely plug and play, the lights are brighter. I kinda wish the headlight glass housing looked more OEM looking but this is fine.
Those look ok to me.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I don't understand why so many members here feel the need to inject comments like this. Sorry, but I don't feel like its constructive to what the OPs intent of the thread was. He asked for experiences and pictures of installations. Not what you think about the appearance of said installations.
It’s because they can’t help it. This is true of every Internet forum. It’s the guy at the cars and coffee that needs to explain to you that your steering wheel isn’t correct for your car. You might as well ask why 1/2 the country votes for one guy and the other half votes for the other guy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went with Vintage LEDs for turn signals all around, and the front ones have the option of having daytime running lights (replace the amber lenses with clear ones). I really like them.

edit: sorry I guess I thought this was a thread about daytime running lights rather than halo headlamps. sort for the semi non sequitur!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I went with Vintage LEDs for turn signals all around, and the front ones have the option of having daytime running lights (replace the amber lenses with clear ones). I really like them.

edit: sorry I guess I thought this was a thread about daytime running lights rather than halo headlamps. sort for the semi non sequitur!
No worries. I plan on going with Vintage LEDs when I upgrade my brake lights and turn signals as well.

·
Registered
1969 mustang fastback
4 Posts
just my .02..
i have led halo lights on a 69..not sure brand ill have to check paperwork they were on car when bought it.
they are not very good at night..
plus im not a fan on old rides so going to take off..

·
Registered
35 Posts
just my .02..
i have led halo lights on a 69..not sure brand ill have to check paperwork they were on car when bought it.
they are not very good at night..
plus im not a fan on old rides so going to take off..
Most halo headlights don't use real projectors and aren't designed properly so you get scattered light and decreased visibility. Check out our OE7. It's a hybrid projector that puts out great light and looks stock.

·
Registered
198 Posts
LED Halos are not my thing however, I just recently converted to LED nonhalo Headlights from Octane Lighting, definitely plug and play, the lights are brighter. I kinda wish the headlight glass housing looked more OEM looking but this is fine.
Which Octane model are those? They look like the crystal style. There is one where the image they have looks like a sealed beam. I've been considering that one.

Do you have any pictures showing the low and high pattern at night?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Which Octane model are those? They look like the crystal style. There is one where the image they have looks like a sealed beam. I've been considering that one.

Maybe these, I'm also looking at them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Maybe these, I'm also looking at them.
I didn't know they were also on eBay. I was looking at these: 7" Stock Glass Lens/Metal Headlight LED 6K 18/24w H4 Light Bulb Headlamp Pair (octanelighting.com)
I asked them how many lumens these are.

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I don't understand why so many members here feel the need to inject comments like this. Sorry, but I don't feel like its constructive to what the OPs intent of the thread was. He asked for experiences and pictures of installations. Not what you think about the appearance of said installations.
Maybe because it's posted in the vintage forum, not the mod forum, and halos aren't vintage.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Oops

·
Registered
889 Posts
I didn't know they were also on eBay. I was looking at these: 7" Stock Glass Lens/Metal Headlight LED 6K 18/24w H4 Light Bulb Headlamp Pair (octanelighting.com)
I asked them how many lumens these are.
I just found theses on E-bay also. Let me/us know what you find out on the Lumens.

·
Registered
229 Posts

Correct, these are the Crystal Style versions. Here are pictures of the lights at night.

Top Photo - Low Beam | Bottom Photo - High Beam

·
Registered
198 Posts
The DOT and SAE don't approve anything. It's up to the manufacturer or the distributor/importer to certify that the lights are compliant. If they aren't and there are problems, then the DOT and NHTSB get involved.

Thanks for the clarification. Another way to say it is the supplier certifies DOT compliance.

The link you supplied makes me think your job is related to DOT certification. May I ask what you do?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just found theses on E-bay also. Let me/us know what you find out on the Lumens.
I emailed them the question late Friday night. With any luck I'll see a response in the next few days. I will certainly forward the lumens info when I get it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What is the status on DOT or SAE approved LED "sealed beams"?
Correct. Manufacturers self certify. It is not a requirement to provide DOT certificates from a testing facility.

Correct, these are the Crystal Style versions. Here are pictures of the lights at night.

Top Photo - Low Beam | Bottom Photo - High Beam

View attachment 780485 View attachment 780486
I would be careful with this setup. While it may look like a nice clean output, it looks like it produces an awful lot of glare.

Here's some pics from uibalnme's setup of our OE7s. You can see the low beams have a sharp crisp cutoff and a proper LHD pattern. You can see the sharp cut on the second picture across the trash can.

To each their own though. Sometimes it doesn't make sense to drop $300 on a car you've driven at night twice.

Designing headlights is a black hole of balancing pattern vs brightness vs glare. Feel free to ask questions.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts