Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
So can we please keep the lumens below 2K for daily drivers? Is that asking too much?
So I suppose these 85,000 lumen lights are a bit much? :eek: :ROFLMAO:

As well as the brightness the color temps in the newer lights can be problematic. Even stock headlights can be pretty obtrusive on low beam. When I had the F150 and even with the Focus on a two lane I get flashed by oncoming traffic on low beam. Pickups are the worst when behind the Focus they’re about the same height as the rear view.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Off topic, but I switched to a dimming rear view mirror in the Stang. It works well enough and is a nice convenience.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang, 302, C4 and 9 inch
58 Posts
I went with the Scott Drake tribar halogen's - not much different from stock and just as yellow. I installed LED lights on my Harley though and they are much better than halogen.
Headlight.jpg

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Looks like good bang for the buck. One reason the OEM appearing lights for classics is they are purpose built for a smaller market. The aftermarket lights are made in the 10s or even 100s of thousands. The old tyme appearing lights are made in much smaller quantities.
Not crapping on your thread at all....value is all what the consumer deems it to be. I certainly have used cheaper alternatives many times. However with headlights, I prefer to get reliable relays and quality glass. In the end I went with some Daniel Stern Cibie's with a top quality H4 and quality relay harnes including relays. For headlights, I would rather invest a little more in the hopes that I have a more long term reliable setup. Again, just my opinion.

Sorry, meant to reply to baloo....

·
Registered
845 Posts
To me, there are a couple things on your car where spending the extra cash for a quality product is worth it. Headlights/taillights, brakes, and other safety related items are usually up there, especially if you plan on driving in all types of conditions.

·
Registered
420 Posts
As I stated earlier I have the truck-lite 27270c and I often drive to work which means I am coming home around midnight and I live a few miles out in the country. That means every night it is deer, critters, or who knows what might pop out. Having steller lighting is a must and the 27270c's will show the rails on a bridge I cross from over a mile away. I have an fj cruiser and the stock halogens were not near enough, retrofitted hid projectors on that. 2014 f150 with stock hid's were good, had an f150 Raptor with halogens that sucked. Anyway, my truck-lite and my hid's both are incredible on hi beam and respectful to others on low beams. What really bites is when people put hid bulbs in halogen lights, that's the ones that blind incoming traffic with a glowing star of uncontained light.
Worst thing I ever had was my old Triumph Bonneville's as they had a half a lumen powered by Lucas, Prince of Darkness... scary ride at night.

·
Registered
10,095 Posts
One of the reasons I want a good set of LED headlights is I don't think LEDs should require a relay. LEDs pull way fewer amps than traditional headlights. Sure, I can get my old school headlights to be brighter with a relay kit. But good LEDs should be even brighter without the extra relay kit wiring or hardware.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I got my 4 headlights for 100$ shipped from Ebay. Built my own relay setup, couldn't be happier:

Reactions: umangu

·
Registered
871 Posts
One of the reasons I want a good set of LED headlights is I don't think LEDs should require a relay. LEDs pull way fewer amps than traditional headlights. Sure, I can get my old school headlights to be brighter with a relay kit. But good LEDs should be even brighter without the extra relay kit wiring or hardware.
Another benefit of adding relays is if your headlight switch, dimmer switch, and or wiring is old then the relays remove almost all of the load from the old components since the old components will only be used to activate the relays.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
First step should be a relay pack. The difference with that simple mod and even stock headlights is amazing. You can pay as little or as much as you want.
Would I need a relay if I jump straight to LEDs? (not just for wiring and wattage, but for all the other reasons - brighter light, whiter light, clear cutoff)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Seeing how much price and looks variation there is, I'm tempted to find the best vintage looking housing and best LED globe independently, match them up and see how good it looks while keeping the price low. If it works I'll let you guys know what I found and it may be beneficial to a lot of us.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
LEDs will be even brighter with a relay pack, since you're removing twenty feet of 50 year old wiring from the circuit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I got my 4 headlights for 100$ shipped from Ebay. Built my own relay setup, couldn't be happier:

Have to say for $100 bucks not only is is great value, but these modern lights look amazing in your 69!

·
Registered
107 Posts
They make a huge difference for sure. Not just in appearance, but in functionality as well. The LED projector has amazing output at to see at night. Mine fit The looks of my very modern car. The halo is switchback from DRL white, to amber for the turn signals. I love them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Looks amazing man! My car is too stock looking for these modern lights but they look great on a restomod.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went with the Scott Drake tribar halogen's - not much different from stock and just as yellow. I installed LED lights on my Harley though and they are much better than halogen. View attachment 760159

I went with tribars myself over 10 years ago (both headlights and fog lights) and I've never looked back. Get many compliments at shows ...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Reading comments here I am tempted to make my own bulb with the following features:

1. LED with low draw. No need to modify wiring for a relay required by halogens.
2. Fits without modification to headlight buckets. Easy plug and play.
3. Looks exactly like stock bulb lenses - same shape, pattern, curve and glass
4. Does not blind on-coming traffic, good cutoffs
5. Much brighter light, max DOT approved lumens
6. Option between modern white light or vintage look yellow light.
7. Not priced ridiculously high, which is why I haven't already bought on of the existing bulbs myself!!

Keen to know if this would interest anyone.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Unless you upgrade your wiring harness, headlight switch, and dimmer switch then I still think wiring in a pair of relays up front is still a good plan. It is a simple task to add one relay to control the low beams and a second relay to control the high beams. Then you will have minimal current flowing through the 50+ year old wiring and components. It is almost less work to install them than it is to try to justify not needing them.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts