Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used glass H4 housing with some $12 aliexpress H4 LED lamps.

Wow, what an amazing difference. Just wow!

My headlights used to blink on high beam due to the current pull from halogens, but now have no problem with the LEDs.

Double win.

Looks normal from 5ft away too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Has anyone ungraded to LED headlights? (Full LED, not just the halo)

How was your experience?

I currently have sealed beam Halogens and don't know whether to upgrade.

Pros and cons?
I have LED head and tail lights on my 66. Love em, especially the head lights because they make night driving a much safer experience.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
No need. The LEDs are more efficient than the incandescent lamps you replaced.
I think that is the best thing about the LEDs, no need to modify the wiring. Not only does it save a lot of effort, but it keeps the car stock, while making it safer, both for visibility as well as fire risk.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I used glass H4 housing with some $12 aliexpress H4 LED lamps.

Wow, what an amazing difference. Just wow!

My headlights used to blink on high beam due to the current pull from halogens, but now have no problem with the LEDs.

Double win.

Looks normal from 5ft away too.
Hey man, please can you tell me where you got your H4 casings from. I have a bunch of headlights lying around but they're all sealed beams.

Also, I'm assuming your casings are made for halogen globes. How do you find their pattern works with the LEDs?

·
Registered
87 Posts
The search terms for the glass H4s: "semi-sealed H4 7"

Jeeps use H4's. I have a TJ with the desired glass housings. There are glass housings with additional holes for parking (?) light lamps, while these will work just fine, they are not as desirable as those housings without the extra holes.

some sample links for housings that would work great:
Front Pair 7" Round Headlights & H4 LED Hi/Lo Beam Lamps for 1995 Geo Metro | eBay for US$27 it even includes the LED's.*

(ignore the 6V as you are going to trash the included halogens)

I used these H4's LED's and they are extremely well made. I can't speak of long term reliability because I haven't put that many hours on them. I went with the 4300k because I'm more likely to drive in fog, whereas the 6000k will put out a bit more white light for clear conditions

I don't know for sure if the LED's line up, but it reasonably appears the LED and incandescent lamps have their respective light generation source in the same relative positions. Later this year, I'll have my headlights checked at the shop as part of my annual MOT/WOF so I'll keep you posted.

All I can tell you is that this headlight system puts out crazy amounts of light, well worth the $30-$80.

*I would have gone with these, I wasn't sure of the clearance, but the housing price alone is hard to beat. However, I am Kinda Down Under (RHD) and shipping is expensive. For those of you in OZ or in the RHD world, these are the housings you need: SSB7019 nrgproducts.com.au. Total shipped price to NZ was <NZ$40.

Searching on SSB7019 also gives you parts interchange with other manufacturers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
The search terms for the glass H4s: "semi-sealed H4 7"

Jeeps use H4's. I have a TJ with the desired glass housings. There are glass housings with additional holes for parking (?) light lamps, while these will work just fine, they are not as desirable as those housings without the extra holes.

some sample links for housings that would work great:
Front Pair 7" Round Headlights & H4 LED Hi/Lo Beam Lamps for 1995 Geo Metro | eBay for US$27 it even includes the LED's.*

(ignore the 6V as you are going to trash the included halogens)

I used these H4's LED's and they are extremely well made. I can't speak of long term reliability because I haven't put that many hours on them. I went with the 4300k because I'm more likely to drive in fog, whereas the 6000k will put out a bit more white light for clear conditions

I don't know for sure if the LED's line up, but it reasonably appears the LED and incandescent lamps have their respective light generation source in the same relative positions. Later this year, I'll have my headlights checked at the shop as part of my annual MOT/WOF so I'll keep you posted.

All I can tell you is that this headlight system puts out crazy amounts of light, well worth the $30-$80.

*I would have gone with these, I wasn't sure of the clearance, but the housing price alone is hard to beat. However, I am Kinda Down Under (RHD) and shipping is expensive. For those of you in OZ or in the RHD world, these are the housings you need: nrgproducts.com.au Total shipped price to NZ was <NZ$40.
Hey man! Thanks for your reply - I just noticed you're also in Australia! Which city are you in? Do you have any photos of your car with the lights on. I want to maintain as stock a look as possible and am worried these headlights might change the look with the big bulb 'cover' they have.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got pushed out of the boat near NZ and didn't quite make it to OZ.

I also have a set of new H4 housings that I can send to you from NZ*, but the new cost is so inexpensive in AU

I'll try and get some photos, but it looks pretty stock...except instead of some dull yellow light the image will probably be bleached out in white light where the headlights are. One really cannot overstate the quality of difference.

*I'll be sending some stuff later this year to Melbourne, if you still are in need then I'll check the extra shipping costs...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I got pushed out of the boat near NZ and didn't quite make it to OZ.

I also have a set of new H4 housings that I can send to you from NZ*, but the new cost is so inexpensive in AU

I'll try and get some photos, but it looks pretty stock...except instead of some dull yellow light the image will probably be bleached out in white light where the headlights are. One really cannot overstate the quality of difference.

*I'll be sending some stuff later this year to Melbourne, if you still are in need then I'll check the extra shipping costs...
Haha, yeah now that I look closely, those stars on your flag are indeed red!

Thanks for pointing these out to me, yeah they're indeed very cheap. Other than the shipping. I'll try and find some locally in Perth and will get some good H4 LED bulbs on eBay. Should be a rather fun and inexpensive project and upgrade.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Looking further at what you told me... I'm wondering if the 4300K might be good for me also, especially as I would like a little yellow in my lights rather than a stark modern appearance. I have no idea how bright 4300 and 6000K actually are.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
even though I have LEDs on my tail lights, turn signals and interior, I was reluctant to Go that route for the headlights. I chose to use Delta housings and halogen bulbs, to try and keep it as vintage looking at possible.

I also added the GT fogs, and a front relay harness at the same time.

**BTW, an amazon $17 relay harness is currently on the garage floor in a pile. Because during my initial install, one of the ceramic lead ground wires l just pulled out of the socket, with only the slightest effort. Initially, I re crimped, and soldered it, but then decided I just didn’t trust it, and didn’t think it had enough length to route safely.

I made my own custom 3 relay harness so I could power the fogs through a relay as well. I wish I had added a fourth relay, and I could have wired the horn at the same time.

fwiw, even the Delta and 60w halogens gave me an amazing upgrade over stock. Might be the best upgrade cost/benifit I have done so far.

Reactions: Mach1 Driver

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
And the halogens are DOT approved, making them safer for you and other drivers.
yeah, good point! I am really getting tired of all the crazy bright lights people are using lately. I live out in the country, and it can be very unsafe when you are driving down a dark road and then the double-sun comes flying straight at you. ...with barely any difference when they do actually switch from high to low beams. o_O

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Be careful of products that say 'DOT approved' or something similar. There's a whole bunch of crap for sale online that make this claim. There are sellers of LED headlight capsules in Asia that even post a "DOT approval" certificate. It's a document with a fancy border and ridiculous gibberish printed.

I don't believe there is even one real 'DOT / SAE approved' H4 LED capsule sold in the USA. I'm talking about products from companies like Phillips, Sylvania. Some of these LED capsules might actually work okay. Phillps markets an H4 LED capsule in Japan that is supposed to work well. It probably would conform to DOT/SAE, but it is not marketed or labeled for the USA. I guess there's not much the Department Of Transportation can do about it.

·
Registered
951 Posts
even though I have LEDs on my tail lights, turn signals and interior, I was reluctant to Go that route for the headlights. I chose to use Delta housings and halogen bulbs, to try and keep it as vintage looking at possible.

I also added the GT fogs, and a front relay harness at the same time.

**BTW, an amazon $17 relay harness is currently on the garage floor in a pile. Because during my initial install, one of the ceramic lead ground wires l just pulled out of the socket, with only the slightest effort. Initially, I re crimped, and soldered it, but then decided I just didn’t trust it, and didn’t think it had enough length to route safely.

I made my own custom 3 relay harness so I could power the fogs through a relay as well. I wish I had added a fourth relay, and I could have wired the horn at the same time.

fwiw, even the Delta and 60w halogens gave me an amazing upgrade over stock. Might be the best upgrade cost/benifit I have done so far.
View attachment 764409 View attachment 764410
MARK ,Your drawing is confusing me,The black lines to the relays don`t make sense. Are they all grounding back at the headlight switch ?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
MARK ,Your drawing is confusing me,The black lines to the relays don`t make sense. Are they all grounding back at the headlight switch ?
Yes, 85 and 86 are the signal circuit that triggers the relay to switch. They are actually interchangeable meaning one side needs to be grounded, the other gets voltage to trigger the switch. And it does ground back to the headlight switch through the original headlight plug.

i found all the terminals and plugs needs on amazon. Let me know If links would help.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts