Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded the lights in my dash to LEDs from Mustang Project. I can't say how impressed I am with them. They look gorgeous. I do have some issues though. The turn signal and Hi Beam indicator flicker at various times. Most noticeably durning engine start, but also at other times when they should be off. I have to wonder if the low resistance is cause some feedback through them.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

The only other complaint I have is the hi been indicator. That little red light is BLINDING. I may have to remove it and go back to the original bulb. Don't know why that one seems so much brighter than the rest.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I installed LED in my instrument and it was really great!

I noticed though that it is important how the bulbs are installed....They must go in in a certain way otherwise they don't work.
You have a 66 so maybe there is different type of bulbs than my 69....Not sure!
Just a tip anyway!

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is actually a 68, but the lights all work normally when they are supposed to work. Its just the flickering when they shouldn't be on that has me concerned.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If they are flickering it could be a grounding issue.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they are flickering it could be a grounding issue.
That's what I was thinking too. I installed a new ground strap from the engine to firewall, and the instrument harness ground appears good behind the dash.

I'll need to pull out my wiring schematics and see where the turn signals and hi-beam indicator share a common path

·
Registered
33,596 Posts
Some of the newer LED 1895's fit like CRAP. I had to make little centering rings using tiny zip ties to keep them from c0cking off to one side or another. As far as the Hi-beam indicator bulb, you might try some kind of "shroud" for it with just a small hole in it, or another bulb with very low lumens.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woodchuck, When they ****ed to the side, what were the symptoms?

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTT,
Has anyone else had issues with their LED dash lights flickering tied to eng speed?

·
Registered
24 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,360 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used the original sockets. The fit wasn't as ideal as I'd like and a bit ****ed to one side on some, but the plastic frosted cover the LED has diffuses the light properly and doesn't create any hot spots. Once in you install them you set it and forget it.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
You might want to consider a different brand of LED's since they are fairly inexpensive anyway, before digging too deep. Different quality LED's produce different loads and conditions. I went with these, and the load they created didn't cause any issues for me in my 66

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079NXHVB6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I tried ordering some Chinese LED's from Amazon and never got them. They would give me a delivery date and still no bulbs, this happened three times. I finally cancelled the order and before they would refund my money, I had to promise not to give them a bad rating.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
BTT,
Has anyone else had issues with their LED dash lights flickering tied to eng speed?
No, but remember my life flickering before my eyes a couple times!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I've seen regular dash lights flicker with the engine speed. It's caused by something in the charging system. Either the alternator, the regulator or a ground somewhere.

I imagine the same things would affect LEDs. It might be a good idea to see what the voltage to those lights looks like when the engine's running and see if it's pulsing or holding steady.

In an extreme case of flickering I saw a car missing the engine ground that arc'd from the power steering pump to the fender as the engine shook. That causes everything to flicker though so you probably don't have anything that extreme going on.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, I talked with The folks at Mustang Project and they suggested it may be an alternator issue. I have checked as many grounds as I can think of. I’ve replaced the regulator as it was bad and allowed over voltage to fry the battery, but it didn’t affect the flicker

1 - 18 of 18 Posts