Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering adding LED taillamps to my '68 Fastback and the general consensus seems to be Mustang Project is the way to go. They have a couple different kits with different LED counts, is there really much of a difference?

I see some with 84 LEDs per side, and some with 115 per side, maybe some others.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I am facing the same question for my 67 FB and have yet to decide. I kinda like the ones that NPD sells that have an amber element in the outer third of the lenses. It looks different and it sort of looks interesting. Anyone out there care to comment on the choices available and opinions on which ones look best?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mustang Project for sure

Go with the "SuperBrites". If I recall they're the ones with 230 lights. I have them in my '68 and IMO they're the best hands down. Very bright! The sequential feature is pretty cool. I myself am oldschool and I'm not big on bling. I went for the lights for safety and cool factor of the sequential.

As far as the "amber" light, I think that's for European use?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have the Mustang Project via NPD sequentials in my '69 and am very happy with them. I'm not positive about a '68, but you may need to change your flasher(s) as well. Look at the last page in the link in my sig for a short video to show how bright they are. I got the highest LED count listed in the NPD catalog.

Edit: video is on page 21.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mustang Project review and tips

The Mustang Project is a very simple install just as they advertise. Yes you do have to replace the flasher module. Simple.
A few tips for you. Make sure you have your right and left assemblies oriented properly or your sequencing will be off. They would sequence from the outside in on a turn signal. Also while installing the assemblies in your housings, make sure they are level in the housing. If they're out, you'll see that through your lenses when they light up. All of this is covered in their instruction sheet.
I also polished the outside my lenses with a buffer on a variable speed drill. LOW speed! You don't want to melt the plastic. I used Maquire's plastic polish. You really can't do anything with the inside of the lenses other than wash them with some soap and water with a soft brush. Lastly I painted my buckets with Eastwood's "Almost Chrome" paint with the proper prep.
I would say the brightness of my taillights doubled. Look's really sharp at night.
Oh yea...did I say get the "SUPERBRITES".

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'll echo the Mustang Project Super Brite. I installed them about a month or so a go and could not believe how much better I could see the car while following. MUCH safer.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
If your set on LED then Mustang Project is the way to go. The other thing I don't like about the LED is that from what I have seen they don't function like stock when the tail lights are on. They go bright off, not bright dim.

I prefer the Scott Drake incandescent sequential kit. They flow better and they work for more than just turn signal. They work when braking too. These function like OEM lights would.

Here are mine. The clicking you hear is the electronic controller box.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm looking for some FIRST HAND advise here. Have '68 Shelby in near perfect condition for over 30 years. Brake and directional lamps have always been dim. No amount of improving grounds and connections makes any improvement. Over the years have learned this is typical on these cars as the harness was never sized for six tail light bulbs. Harness will just not flow the amperage required. As a simple solution, am considering LED bulbs as they should require less amperage for same lumens as the OEM 1157 incandescent bulbs. Anyone with FIRST HAND experience seen these in a side by side comparison?

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Don, I think Marty's pictures above speak for themselves. The LEDs, when using the circuit board type from Mustang Project, are much brighter than incandescent bulbs. What you have to watch out for is buying 1157 bulb-type LEDs with only a few led clusters as the bulb. Those tend to be dimmer than the incandescent.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
This clone has the MP taillights, and I must say they were impressive, when I saw them operate.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I'm looking for some FIRST HAND advise here. Have '68 Shelby in near perfect condition for over 30 years. Brake and directional lamps have always been dim. No amount of improving grounds and connections makes any improvement. Over the years have learned this is typical on these cars as the harness was never sized for six tail light bulbs. Harness will just not flow the amperage required. As a simple solution, am considering LED bulbs as they should require less amperage for same lumens as the OEM 1157 incandescent bulbs. Anyone with FIRST HAND experience seen these in a side by side comparison?
Don, I had the same problem you did. While following me one day my wife complained that the red paint blended in with the red tail lights too much, especially in the mid-day sun. I switched to the MP LED tails and WOW what a difference. With two little girls riding in the back I really appreciate the added safety. I highly recommend them.

One more question. Is VT Vermont or Virginia Tech?

·
Premium Member
13,178 Posts
I can endorse the NW Mustang unit that NPD sells. High quality,84 LED's per side. The '67 & '68 have '72 LED's per side

Z.

·
Registered
632 Posts
What are those things in your front valance, fog lights? That looks pretty cool.
Thank's.
It's a reproduction of the 1965 Mustang "2+2 Night Rally Kit". The Fog light's were relocated from the grill to the lower Valance. It was avalible from Ford over the Counter in 1965. They are a rare item and there's not much known about them. I looked for one for quite a while till I decided to just make my own from a spare Valance.

Marty.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mustang project has some pretty sweet stuff on their site. I'm gonna pick up a set of led tail lamps for mine too, that's not as expensive as I was afraid it would be. I think I'll spring for a set of the seq. Hood turn signals too, that's just too cool.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I got mine recently from Year One, I was even able to use a coupon code and get 20% off, they were as easy to install as changing the bulb, and the improvement was dramatic. (even the g/f was impressed!) I am sure they are not quite as bright as some of the 'super bright' million LED ones, but those are probably overkill at that point anyway IMO.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Mustang project has some pretty sweet stuff on their site. I'm gonna pick up a set of led tail lamps for mine too, that's not as expensive as I was afraid it would be. I think I'll spring for a set of the seq. Hood turn signals too, that's just too cool.
I bought the hood lights as well. You will like them. Look at page 21 of the link in my sig for a short video.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts