Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New LED Tailights.

I put one of the sequential LED conversions sets in my coupe a few years ago. I thought it was cool and helped a lot with visibility. But I didn't like that it didn't light up the whole lens real well and sometimes turns a bit, making the light look funny on that side.

Does anyone here have experience with this set that Virginia Classic Mustang sells? It has the LED's attached to the lens directly, which would take care of any movement for sure. I know there are a few different manufacturers out there, but I haven't seen anyone do a review on these yet. How long have they been out? I'm pretty sure these are not sequential, but that's fine with me as long as they light up really well.

67-68 LED TAIL LIGHT ASSEMBLY - EACH

I have to replace the lens on the convertible project anyway and thought these look like a good option. If not I will be a guinea pig and order a set. Of course it will be a good while before our convertible will be on the road.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Try hitting Youtube and typing it into the search-field. When I was checking out an LED switch, I found a few video's there that showed particular distributors brands off. On most, the sequential's still there, and man, they are bright! Pop really well in daylight, alot better than our old lenses with the backlighting. Of course, if you know just a little about wiring, I'm sure there's a few write-up's out there on how to clean your own lenses, and build your own LED boards. Not a big moneysaver, considering how cheap the kits are, but you'd know hands-down how the electrical works in that spot, and still keep the original lenses, so no questions of fit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got (nonsequential) LED tail lights from KAR Mustang for my '65. Each light has one big LED board in it and replaces the OEM bulb and lense.

Man, they are freakin' bright! I'm sure they sell some for the '67/68.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Keep in mind that the light produced by the LEDs are directional so they wont light up every part of the lens. But they will light up most of it, depending on how many LEDs are in the kit. I have one of the early style kits from back in 2005. They use 3 thin boards on each side. Each board has 7 evenly places bulb in a zig zag pattern. During the day you just see red dots. Very visible however, and much, much better than the original incandescent bulbs. In the night they're even more visible and light up most of the lens. Mine don't mount to the lens, they mount to a bracket. When it comes to LEDs, the more the better. Unfortunately for me, back in 2005, 21 LEDs on each side was what was available. Now you can get like 120 LEDs per side.

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have a Mustang project set in my '68 coupe. They work great except they don't light the whole lens more just the middle part. And then to rotate a little over time (I probably have a loose socket mount?). What I liked about these are they appear to be fixed to the back of the lens and I would assume have enough lights to cover the whole area.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I don't like how the LEDs illunimate directionally either. Thats why I went with a 3 bulb incandescant setup from Scott Drake. I got sequential, but they can be used with out that function.

Also most LED tail lights I have seen for our cars don't function correctly when the tail lights are on and the turn signal is flashing. That side will go bright off not bright dim.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I will go ahead and order these and report back how they look in a week or two.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I just received them from Virginia Classic Mustang and first impressions are these are really nice looking! The lens is a great reproduction (except for the word PREMIER in place of the Fomoco). The lens is made more solid on the backside to make the three individual lights into their own section with each LED panel epoxied in place. These use the standard wiring and have the 1157-double contact plug securely attached. I'm a little bummed that the the taillight bezel's got back-ordered, so it will be a few days before I get to install them. I will take a few pictures of the install. The only drawback I see is these don't have the sequential feature, but they look like they should be very easy to see.

These have 84 (7 rows of 4) LED's per light.

I saw them a little cheaper from a couple other online places. But I ordered them along with several other goodies from Virginia Classic, they seem to have great customer service!

-update-
I had a few minutes to snap a couple pictures and install the new tail lights.

I haven't put any power to these yet, but they look good so far!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts