Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I’d share a simple upgrade to LEDs.
Makes a big difference as you can see from the left taillight (LED) vs the right taillight (bulbs).

Seems to have also solved my lighting issue as well with my internal lights and side lights flickering on and off when I have my foot on the brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Looks much better. What LED's did you use and were they red or white light?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks much better. What LED's did you use and were they red or white light?
I used these:

Got them in red. This was actually recommended from another forum.

Now looking to do turn signals, front and reverse lights.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
You will probably have to get an electronic flasher, the LED bulbs don't have enough current draw to make the old style flasher work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will probably have to get an electronic flasher, the LED bulbs don't have enough current draw to make the old style flasher work.
Nope works totally fine. No need for a flasher.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you just swapped the bulbs and it worked? You didn’t add a resistor and you have the stock flasher?
Correct mate. I read a lot about people adding electronic flashers and it was a mixed bag of people who did and didn’t, so my first step was to replace the bulbs and then go from there. Haven’t had an issue since and like I said previously, corrected my lighting issues. I think the 6x bulbs were a drain on the voltage which is why instrument lights, side lights and tail lights would cut out when I put the brakes on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here were some of the instrument lighting issues I was talking about. LEDs fixed this issue .

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sure wasn't what I expected to hear when I played the vid! Just come here for the cars....not politics.
As to the point of your post........It seems you have a wiring problem in your car that has nothing to do with adding LED lighting. The LEDs you installed has the need for a resistor to make use of the stock flasher unit. The people you bought them from state this and sell the load resistor required. Sounds like a ground fault or short to ground when you activate the brake lights.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sure wasn't what I expected to hear when I played the vid! Just come here for the cars....not politics.
As to the point of your post........It seems you have a wiring problem in your car that has nothing to do with adding LED lighting. The LEDs you installed has the need for a resistor to make use of the stock flasher unit. The people you bought them from state this and sell the load resistor required. Sounds like a ground fault or short to ground when you activate the brake lights.
This sounds more plausible. Something is still wrong with the wiring. I’m not sure what could be causing resistance in the circuit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So that’s exactly what I said before - there were a lot of people saying you need the resistor etc etc and there were a lot of people saying I didn’t. So I figured I’d install it myself starting with the bulbs first and it works fine without the resistor.

As for grounding, I did all that.. checked the grounds, regrounded everything, cleaned the terminals and it literally didn’t do a thing. I read somewhere that the drain of the 6x original bulbs would cause this to happen on another forum, so I switched to LED as it doesn’t take as much and it seems to now be fixed. Took it on a drive last night and everything works perfectly now..

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
A cheap upgrade to be safer is to replace the rear incandencent bulbs with an led and leave the front incandencent alone. The existing flasher will work but a flasher like a EL12 from Napa works perfect. Changing the fronts out to led will require an electronic flasher on a Mustang wirh a single bulb turn/brake light circuit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A cheap upgrade to be safer is to replace the rear incandencent bulbs with an led and leave the front incandencent alone. The existing flasher will work but a flasher like a EL12 from Napa works perfect. Changing the fronts out to led will require an electronic flasher on a Mustang wirh a single bulb turn/brake light circuit.
Yeah I heard something similar too. I’ve left the front for now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts