Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I've had them in my '66 for 3 years, and the car gets washed pretty much weekly and driven daily. I've had them in my '69 for about a year, but that car has only been washed a few times since then.

If any water got on them, I doubt it would hurt them, and if the gaskets are in decent shape on your tail light housings, no water should get in there, anyway.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
http://www.mustangproject.com/67%20shelby%20conversion%20kit.htm
What do you guys think would happen if you used this kit and washed your car for shows?
The LEDs themselves are encapsulated, and the rest of the board are parts and low voltage. Getting them wet won't hurt anything, as long as there is no residue left on them or they don't stay wet for a long period. I'd wash on a warm, dry day.

You can also spray the whole board assy with a conformal coating that is designed for circuits that are exposed to weather conditions. Think of it as a clear coat for electronics. This stuff is available in rattle cans at electronic supply houses. You can see if Mustang Project either does this themselves, or would allow you to coat the board for your own piece of mind.

·
7,014 Posts
I bought a set of LED's for my car. I had a bad seal on the tail light lens at the top on the passenger side. Unfortunately water set in there and the circuit board was immersed. It ruined it.

I called the manufacturer and they sold me a new one for about $15.00. Then, they fixed my old one for free and sent it back to me...even though I told them it was my fault it failed. So now I have a spare.

I can't remember the name of the LED company. It was in Indiana. I think Madison. I got them from Dallas Mustang, but they don't sell that brand anymore...I don't think.

Anyway. Make sure water doesn't sit in there.

Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts