Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20,223 Posts
Another of the greatest generation gone. Quite a accomplished career. Besides what he did at Ford you have to give him due credit at Chrysler and the K car. The K car is also a improvement automotive high point. He took a car company that was about to be non existent with a great legacy and brought them back. He did it with basically one platform. Not only that but he paid back the government loan early, made them profitable and a model of efficiency. Even Toyota came to look at their business model and assembly lines. Rest in Piece Lee.

·
Vendor
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No link, I heard it from Donald Farr, who I trust with such things.. It should hit the media soon I'd guess.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Sad news indeed....I also saw Donald Farr's FB post - condolences to his family and friends.

John

·
Registered
183 Posts
Another legend lost, a full life and a great career is his legacy which is written in the pages of history. R.I.P

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,223 Posts
Another of the greatest generation gone. Quite a accomplished career. Besides what he did at Ford you have to give him due credit at Chrysler and the K car. The K car is also a important automotive high point. He took a car company that was about to be non existent with a great legacy and brought them back. He did it with basically one platform. Not only that but he paid back the government loan early, made them profitable and a model of efficiency. Even Toyota came to look at their business model and assembly lines. Rest in Piece Lee.
Stupid autocorrect, should have been important not improvement

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The outlets haven't picked it up yet. He was the guy famous for the minivan, right? Did he do any other cool cars? :nerd::smile2: Making it to 94 is a pretty good run. Coming up from the ranks in the auto business like that is almost unheard of these days. Mary Bara did it but most of the heads seem to be finance or biz dev types and not those that came up from running a plant or engineering.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Wow, sorry to see him go. America owes him a significant debt of gratitude for all that he’s done. I read his biography last year, it’s a great read if you’ve not already done so. RIP my friend and thanks for helping to bring the most bad *** car to life!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
A good run I'd say!

·
Registered
273 Posts
It was easy to pick on him for a while (Mustang II, K-Cars), but he had one hell of a career. And from a vehicle sales standpoint, he was way more right than wrong. I have a lot of respect for him.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
A giant in the auto industry, RIP

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
While the K car was ridiculed in the market they were profitable and the concepts behind the production were sound and lead to how cars are made today. It saved Chrysler at the time. Transverse engine, front wheel drive on a common platform simplifying the supply chain. There were some common platform cars prior to the K platform but not to the depth and extent in terms of models and parts used.

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
What a man with vision! I read one of his bio years ago, so impressive. RIP father of our passion.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts