Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one? Is it worth it with a dog box transmission? Seems like there may be some benefit and left foot braking might make driving a little smoother or is it a waste of time.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Mut, it might be do-able for 1 % of us. I will presume you're trying for faster laptimes ? I think there are probably 1000 other places to perfect before you try that. Most of us, I think, and me for certain, don't have the skill or the ability to drive in that manner. I've driven trucks that way, carefully modulating the throttle to shift without the clutch, and it IS smooth. But I don't think I could do that, trying for quickness, in a track or competition setting. LSG

·
Registered
902 Posts
Is it possible that braking while shifting will interrupt the smooth engagement of the slider and dog rings if the rpm drops too much?It does sound tough. I'm wondering how the Nascar guys did it . . . .

·
Spammer Hammer
11,308 Posts
I assumed it was common place with those transmissions. Don’t you have to blip the throttle with every down shift?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mut, it might be do-able for 1 % of us. I will presume you're trying for faster laptimes ? I think there are probably 1000 other places to perfect before you try that. Most of us, I think, and me for certain, don't have the skill or the ability to drive in that manner. I've driven trucks that way, carefully modulating the throttle to shift without the clutch, and it IS smooth. But I don't think I could do that, trying for quickness, in a track or competition setting. LSG
Just trying to have , that's all, I have started to practice in the street. My commuter car probably saw over a thousand heel/toe downshifts before I brought it to the track
I assumed it was common place with those transmissions. Don’t you have to blip the throttle with every down shift?
yep, I have watched a couple of videos, lift off the gas some when up shifting, blip the throttle a little on a down shift (not too different than a heel toe, except no clutch) which leaves the left foot free for braking full time.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Any one? Is it worth it with a dog box transmission? Seems like there may be some benefit and left foot braking might make driving a little smoother or is it a waste of time.
You can go significantly faster, but a good setup can run 7k and much more by the time you're finished. Sure there are cheaper ways to get it done, but I'm speaking of a quality unit that'll last and all the requisit items like bellhousing, driveshaft, and such.

I'm still racing with a TKO 600R, and racing against those that can upshift and downshift clutchlessly, well they steal parts of seconds with each shift.

Try doing this with a clutch pedal: Road Atlanta Onboard GT350 Shelby Mustang for the Sasco Race - YouTube

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can go significantly faster, but a good setup can run 7k and much more by the time you're finished. Sure there are cheaper ways to get it done, but I'm speaking of a quality unit that'll last and all the requisit items like bellhousing, driveshaft, and such.

I'm still racing with a TKO 600R, and racing against those that can upshift and downshift clutchlessly, well they steal parts of seconds with each shift.

Try doing this with a clutch pedal: Road Atlanta Onboard GT350 Shelby Mustang for the Sasco Race - YouTube
I have the hardware in place already, just need to learn how to use it without tearing it up first. Can't practice clutchless shifting in my Corolla. The folks at GForce say no problem, but they are in the business of selling transmissions.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
I have the hardware in place already, just need to learn how to use it without tearing it up first. Can't practice clutchless shifting in my Corolla. The folks at GForce say no problem, but they are in the business of selling transmissions.
I've watched the owner of G force at the drag strip and he can drive a stick shift car. I have one of his 600 HP rated T5's for my car but have yet to drive. I'm in the body work stages so maybe next year I will be able to drive it. I wouldn't be afraid to run anything he has built.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you currently have a trans that will allow this, it is awesome once you get it figured out. It can also be extremely dangerous if it isn't done right. If you don't get the blip right, you are going to slam the downshift and that back end is coming around reallllll quick. That being said, regardless of how you drive them, once you go dog ring you never look back.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't wait, 8 days till track event. Took the car out and practiced some up and down shifts with no clutch, just seemed wrong. Transmission shifted flawlessly and quick. I thought I could shift the toploader fast, amazing how much time the clutch took.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts