Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ca DMV

My 64 1/2 yellow vert is from the Los Angeles area and would love to be able to run the black and yellow plates here in Georgia. Would like to trace the car back to original owner but have no idea how to.
Form INF70 submitted can track all registered owners back to the days when it fell off computer as they had low memory. I tracked my car to previous owners in 1979 when it came to Cali.

Legacy is a rip off still costs you personalized plate cost on top of registration EVERY year. Go year of manufacturer program aka YOM and pay only 10 buck more per year. I think the personalized plates are 90 bucks :loco: Well unless you can find something you want to say on a lic plate that is not taken already...

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Nope - not me...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yom plates

We have a YOM program here in Indiana that is very easy to deal with. I found a real 1967 plate on ebay and registered it with no issues.
How did u do this in Indiana?? I have a 79 pace car and was able to get an original 79 pace car plates with the checkered flag background and would love to use them!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
If the Legacy Plate program goes through they won't be issuing any black and yellow plates as personalized plates. Only in standard letter/number combinations as with the orignals. And you don't get to pick the combination. They will be reflectorized paint on aluminum. And no guarentee the letter/number style will be exactly like the originals.

I personally prefer the original plates and I did go through the YOM program to get mine approved. Any plate you want to use under the YOM program has to be out of the system, possibly as long as 10 years before they are determined to be 'Clear'. You can't just transfer a plate from one car to another.
Ron

·
Registered
6 Posts
Inside info has it. I guess a friend of my brother works in the DMV headquarters. rumor says the new legacy plates are plastic. But I do need some for my newly purchase 1965 FB

title everything is good. database clean. so I guess I need to send in my check.
you would think that we could use a card on line. Check really. Who the heck has checks
anymore lol!
Why not go with the YOM plates. Much more appropriate for a 65? I already got YOM plates for my 66 and am awaiting SFM1117 for my Focus ST.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Received the DMV letter that my "legacy plates" will be ready in the next "few weeks".
Yup - me too. Received the letter two months ago, which stated they'd be ready to pickup in 8-12 weeks. :shrug: And they are supposed to be personalized. We'll see... :}0

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I've seen these new black plates on modern cars! Can't believe all you need is $50 and a form and you can get a black plate for your 2015 car! Guess whatever it takes for the state to make a few extra bucks! I went through hell to get my YOM plates.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I picked mine up last week. Got my first choice of personalization! I had forgotten that I told them to send them to the local AAA office for me to pick them up -- was waiting on another letter from DMV saying THEY had them but such a letter never came. Then I received a phone call from the AAA office "come pick up your plates, they have been here 2 weeks". Not the best communication but now I have them. I now officially have a "Fun P51" in black and yellow.

I would see zero incentive to put a black/yellow plate on a newer car. But maybe that's just me...

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
As a point of clarification for the YOM program in California, one needs to understand that here in the Golden State the last time all vehicles received a new set of plates at the time of registration renewal was in 1963. Thus original 6 character 1963 series plates (the Black and Yellow ones) are still considered valid and current on any car that has had them since 1969 or earlier when DMV ran out of the black and yellow plates. The blue and yellow 6 and 7 character plates that started being issued in late 1969 are also still considered valid even though DMV stopped issuing them near the end of 1986. Consider that DMV has been issuing the 7 character white and blue plates for more than 30 years. The key point being is that no standard plate issued since 1963 has been superseded by the next configuration.

This is contrasted to many other states were new plates are issued more frequently, superseding the prior series of plates. Lastly, with few exceptions (like personalized plates) plates are issued to the car and not the person so they follow the car for as long as they exist and the car remains registered. Thus the requirement of being "clear" in the system requires that a particular plate is not still shown as being assigned to a particular car currently.

The YOM program here was intended to allow hobbyists willing to jump through hoops and pay additional fees to do an end run around the standard plate assignment process and enjoy the appearance, if not the illusion, of California provenance implied by having an "original" plate on their vintage car.

I have seen a few of the new black plates and they have all been on non-vintage cars, the first one being a brand new black VW Jetta.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Hardtop
1,718 Posts
There are definitely some cars from the '70s and early 90s that would look great with black plates, but not many new ones. I suppose a 2015 black Challenger or Mustang could pull it off but they do look very out of place.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I still have not received my plates. Ugh... :thumbsdown: I received a letter several months ago saying they would be available in 6-8 weeks, but than have not heard anything since. Should I just go to the DMV and inquire? I dread having to wait in line only to hear that the plates were there, then returned because I didn't pick them up, even though I never received notice of their arrival. More ugh...

My buddy just put black plates on his late 80's Porsche. Not sure how I feel about that... :shrug:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Well, two and a half years after my initial application for the plates, I finally have them...!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Yes Sir, I love Racedeck floring. Stuff is amazing!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
21 - 40 of 40 Posts