Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by my local parts house today and picked up a new rear seal for my 65 C4 automatic. I didn't open the box there but when I got home I took it out and realized that it has a rubber boot on it that extends approximately 1-2 inches rearward. The old seal I took out did not have a rubber boot. My question is...are these types of seal any good? I have a brand new yoke on my driveshaft and don't want to mess it up. I would think that since no transmission fluid is SUPPOSED to get past the first seal then this boot would be dry and the rubber would wear a groove on my new yoke. Anybody disagree with this? Also, did they make seals like this back in 65 and if not, will I be deducted points in concours judging for this type of seal?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by shelby2 on 04/16/01 06:55 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Have that kind of seal on my 68 C6, and I got it from Ford. I believe the extra bit on the end is to try to keep excess dirt etc away from where the yoke slides, it does not seal oil.

[color:blue]68 GT500</font color=blue>
[color:green]68 1/2 CJ Coupe</font color=green>

MCA# 18519

1 - 3 of 3 Posts