Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a set of legendary wheels in today and fitted them up to the car, only to discover that I will need longer wheel studs on all four corners. There’s not even enough threads to get the lug but started on the back, and barely able to get one full rotation on the front. Looks like I’ll be digging through some bins tomorrow. Has anybody else ran into this issue with these wheels? Also looks like I’ll be needing a super thin walled 13/16 impact socket. I went with the LW-10 in 17x8 all around.

Anyway, thought I would share that with you guys. I’ll report back once I get it back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May be worth noting that both the front and rear have been converted to disc brakes, so the wheel studs may not have been correct for the rotors to begin with.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have exhausted every local parts store, and there is nothing in stock or even in the catalogs with 1/2”-20 threads, .615” knurl, and 2 1/2” long. I picked up some 2” long which will work for the rear, but looks like I will have to resort to aftermarket for the front. Moroso makes a 3” long stud which will work, but will be too long for my closed lug nuts. I’m surprised this hasn’t come up before with anyone else using these wheels. I’m not running anything exotic, using a Kelsey Hayes disc brake setup in the front and a Leed rear disc conversion. The studs don’t even protrude passed the wheels.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was going to post this earlier but didn’t. Ensure you use anti-seize on the lug nuts where they fit into the wheels (as well as on the studs). That type of lug nut 7 out of 10 times will seize to the wheel otherwise. The shouldered lug nut is really an outdated design that should been left in the past. I worked in a tire store in my youth and would never by wheels w/o tapered lug nuts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts