Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today I headed home at lunchtime to 'trade up' our cable modem at home for the 'corporate standard' (which isn't a standard, but that's another story). Anyhow, I pick up the modem and head off to the service office for the exchange. Getting off the freeway (traffic limited my speed to ~45 mph) and I am downshifting to 2nd gear. Press the brakes - NOTHING. Downshift to first to slow down, pump the brakes, nothing again! Hit the rear of a Subaru Legacy at I estimate ~10 mph.
The Subaru looked OK (scrathc damage, and might require the replacement of the rear plastic cover over the bumper). However, my car didn't fare so well.:(
Hood is buckled (fiberglass). Front Valence is mashed (no bumper). Grill and lower grill support are pressed into the A/C condensor. A/C condensor is pressed into my AFCO radiator, which caused a small coolant leak.
Owner of the Subaru didn't think I could get home. However, with an electric fan, and no direct binding/rubbing of the belts, I did make it.
I did manage to get the hood open at home (it was tough).
Tonight I will inspect the situation a little more and head to the body shop once the adjuster at least speaks to me.
I'm sure glad I wasn't testing the limits on my speed....

The worst feeling I have ever had was to press that brake pedal and have it sink to the floor... I suspect the M/C is shot, but a fluid leak (low fluid level) could be the culprit.... Inspections will tell. Definitely thinking about a dual chamber M/C setup now as I fell victim to a single point failure today...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Glad to hear you are alright and the other person is alright too. Definately get a dual MC. I waited a year to upgrade my four drum brakes with single MC to front disc and dual MC. :eek:

·
1,215 Posts
Glad you are okay. BTW..did the emergency brake not work either? Even with a total fluid loss the Emer should help stop the car no?

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
that will prompt me to fix my diverter valve on my '68. have everything new but noticed valve was frozen up and was putting it on my winter list of things to do. hope it isn't too bad but does't sound good.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Really sorry about the car, man. At least everyone is ok. Well, i guess not the car. Sorry again.
Most people don't think about that little black handle when they discover that the brakes don't work.
Go for the dual MC, for sure.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,856 Posts
Bummer! Although not cheap, it doesn't sound too awful to fix poor Leslie. Thankfully you were able to slow down enough to make it just a "bump".
Does your parking brake work, or was your leg in the way like mine always is? That kind of thing is the main reason I retrofitted a center mounted parking brake into my 67. It's sure "incorrect", but I like to be able to yank on the thing if I need it. Although the same thing can be done with a "foot brake" or the old underdash "pull brake", they just don't come to hand like a tunnel mounted brake.
Besides, I've had plenty of practice grabbing the center brake on other cars. "Practicing panic stops", yeah, that's what I was doing.
That said, rear brakes have a rather limited ability to stop the car although they're great at putting flat spots on the tires.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought about grabbing it, but didn't really have time. I had to either: 1) downshift to reduce speed or 2) grab the handle and fumble with that.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,856 Posts
"Fumble with it". Exactly what I mean. It's like Ford went out of their way to make the thing difficult to use. Not one of their best engineering efforts.

·
7,025 Posts
Darn it Steve, that's awful.

My heart just sank when I read your post. I really feel for you. Just keep in mind, you can rebuild her. You can make her better than before. Better. Faster. Stronger. ::

Good Luck, and definitely spring for that dual reservoir master cylinder. I questioned how important that was before I bought mine and it was AMAZING how many people had crashed old mustangs because of a brake failure on a single reservoir master cylinder. The primary mode seemed to be failure of one of the rubber brake lines during panic braking....Just EXACTLY when you don't want to lose your brakes.

Phil

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the uplifting words, Phil.

Radiator support is moved back (so far that I can't get the hood latched now, some 'persuation engineering' will be completed prior to submittal to the body shop.

Additional 'features' installed while I've got the front end apart are:
1) dual chamber MC and prop valve
2) New A/C condensor (still R-12 - there's no better transfer media)
3) setrab oil cooler - I've got it, now it's time to install the damn thing
4) fog/driving lights
5) Shelby R model disc brake cooling ducts/hoses from Cobra Automotive...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap. With that said....

Why did you drive home after smashing up your car when you knew the brakes didn't work? Or was this no brakes thing an intermitent problem? Did you wear out your shoes on the way home?

·
Registered
310 Posts
So.. The brakes failed..you hit another car.. coolant leaking, and you still chose to drive home??? Glad I'm not on the road near you.. Glad no-one was hurt, and all is repairable.. good luck..

·
4,129 Posts
I could have not said it better than jester66 "Dude, that sucks. Sorry to hear it. :( "

I forget do you have a automatic or 4 speed? But as far as driving home it sounds as if you were close and once you know that you need to use the e-brake stopping is not a big deal with some planning. :: That is how I am driving my coupe around my track (of homes). I will fix the brakes when the 9 inch goes in. Sounds like your in for a few "while your at its" during this repair. fd

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Man I'm so sorry!
Glad to know that you're alright though.
Get ride of that dang single MC!!!

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
So glad you are okay and no one is seriously injured. Please do the dual mc soon! I went ahead and did the granada swap and had a few issues, but the great people here worked me thru them. Bottom line: Very cheap insurance and stops a whole lot better than the old drums did. I had good brakes before the swap, the po had a complete brake job just before I got the car and it stopped well, good pedal. But, the discs are so much better and the safety of the dual mc is just added insurance! Good luck with the repairs...keep us updated and show some pics.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Remember guys it used to be called a parking brake ! But aparently it's gets used more for emergencys huh?
So when it was installed for cars they didn't envision the situation you all have been in . ::

1 - 18 of 18 Posts