Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After putting in aluminum radiator in my 66, I want to get rid of the bulky overflow tank I have. I’m thinking about doing a polished 2 inch cylindrical one. Post up What you have, give me some ideas! Thanks

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Before you get that 2" cylindrical tank, measure the capacity of the old one, and make sure the new tank as at least the same capacity. If the tank is too small, it can spill coolant when the engine is up to temperature. I have this Canton tank, it has a sight tube on the side and is 2qt capacity.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have a tall thin cylindrical recovery tank on my 69 and I did not want it in the engine bay. So I fitted mine in front of the radiator support. Space is a little bit tight getting the cap on and off, but I rarely need to do this, so it does not bother me.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Mine is somewhere between 2 1/2 - 3" in diameter. I have never had it over flow.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
i have the same one as JRFox and Killer95Stang. it was like $25 off ebay

·
Registered
49 Posts
No pics, but I got a plastic universal one and got it sitting in the front lower valance panel. All stock looking engine bay and it is not seen.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Heres mine, home made with billet mounts.Just a piece of 2 inch aluminum tubing with brazed bottom cap and 1/4: id tubing with an interference "O" ring retained cap.

Reactions: 7T02S

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
I can get a pic this weekend but I used a propane bottle o_O, (washed it out with water first then flushed it with WD40) welded an input up top and a overflow off the fill valve then welded a fitting below to add a drain valve down below. Couple of tabs on the side. Mounted it on the passenger side on the radiator as low as I could. Painted satin black, its almost invisible and very clean which is just what I wanted. I have this "thing" about drawing eyes to something insignificant. I don't like engine compartments that have polished aluminum or chrome water bottles, alternators or monte carlo bars etc, it draws the attention away from what I want people to see, a clean small block done in bead-blasted aluminum and a cast-iron painted block with silver headers against a satin black backdrop. The last thing I want to happen when I open the hood is for someone to say; "wow, cool overflow bottle". This doesn't apply to people that go full on chrome or polished aluminum ($$$) where the entire engine bay is done that way, then the pieces blend into the scheme.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,714 Posts
I can get a pic this weekend but I used a propane bottle o_O, (washed it out with water first then flushed it with WD40) welded an input up top and a overflow off the fill valve then welded a fitting below to add a drain valve down below. Couple of tabs on the side. Mounted it on the passenger side on the radiator as low as I could. Painted satin black, its almost invisible and very clean which is just what I wanted. I have this "thing" about drawing eyes to something insignificant. I don't like engine compartments that have polished aluminum or chrome water bottles, alternators or monte carlo bars etc, it draws the attention away from what I want people to see, a clean small block done in bead-blasted aluminum and a cast-iron painted block with silver headers against a satin black backdrop. The last thing I want to happen when I open the hood is for someone to say; "wow, cool overflow bottle". This doesn't apply to people that go full on chrome or polished aluminum ($$$) where the entire engine bay is done that way, then the pieces blend into the scheme.
As I am well versed in the difficulty you have in taking pictures, I will wait patiently since I pulled a small aluminum bottle from a metal bin here at work (can't remember what it was, looks like a mini-O2 bottle) and intend to do the same as you did.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
What is the electrical component with the 4 wires, next to the power steering reservoir?

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
(y)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ebay. Was like $30

Reactions: 7T02S
1 - 19 of 19 Posts