Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,518 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,615 Posts
If you look around and get lucky you may run across an old (1960's, 1970's) F100/F150 that came from the factory with a 3.50 Traction-Lok inside an N pumpkin with 31 spline axles. About 25 years ago a friend of mine had a trailer made from the bed of an old F100. I looked underneath and there it was- the big N in the pumpkin. Last year I went to Seattle and picked up a '73 F100 for Josep and when I got back home I crawled underneath and there was the big N on the pumpkin.
Nice score!

·
Registered
1966 GT Fastback, 289, TKO 5-spd, EFI, 4-discs, TCP coilovers
143 Posts
Buy one of the 8" third members on ebay from TJ's Business partner. You do not need the 9" Or buy a new ring and pinion and find a shop that will install the gearset at a reasonable price on your current third member.
When I first saw your post, I searched for "TJ" on eBay and everywhere else, with no luck. But since my rear gear problems were not solved, and no viable solutions (time and money) surfaced, I continued searching the interweb. I eventually found another shop selling complete 8" third members called "8 and 9 Inch Ford Rears", and lo and behold, their eBay store was "TJ1141". Even better, their phone was a NJ number, and I am in Eastern PA. So I called and spoke with Alan von Ahnen. He said we could do an exchange, but he thought he would first want to take a look at it because he thought the 3rd member setup was bad and he could fix it. Turns out, his shop was only an hour away in Pennsville NJ, so I made an appointment.

The 8 and 9 Inch Ford Rears shop is packed to the rafters with Ford differentials, new parts, old parts, buckets of bearings and bolts, and the shop is complete with all kinds of clever tools, benches and fixtures for doing rebuilds. He completely disassembled my chunk, installed a new ring and pinion gear (3.55 Motive Performance) and crush sleeve, put in new seals, and then spent quite a bit of time getting the backlash and contact pattern perfect (see pictures). Alan is a very entertaining guy, and he was kind enough to let me look over his shoulder as he explained many little nuances about doing the job right. Note to the file: there are a lot of special tools and "little tricks" to doing this job that are not disclosed in the Internet tutorials and YouTube videos - my hesitance to try this job by myself was well founded.

The back story goes something like this: 8 and 9 Inch Ford Rears was founded by TJ Rebert, aka, "TJ1141" on eBay. Alan worked with TJ Rebert for many years, and gradually acquired ownership interest in the business, first in the 8" portion, and eventually the whole business. Sadly, TJ passed away two years ago, but since Alan learned TJ's tricks of the trade, his legacy and reputation continues.

So, I now have a completely fresh third member - the whole job was finished with just a short drive and a morning invested. Better yet, I now know Alan von Ahnen; he is a stand-up guy - his price was fair and reasonable, and if the gear set continues to be noisy, he will fix it until it is right. I just doesn't get any better than that. If any of you VMF'ers need differential work, I highly recommend Alan. You can find him on eBay at TJ1141, and also on the web at www.8and9inchfordrears.com.

20200617_101921.jpg 20200617_101951.jpg

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Good to hear you got it fixed. Myself and many others on this forum are running TJ/Alan’s 3rd members.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I did the exact same thing as Alan is 2 hrs from Annapolis, just over the Delaware Bay Bridge. Great guy. And he fully backs his product.

·
6,971 Posts
GM used a 7.5" axle in their 350 inch Camaros during the 80's and 90's. Their engineers said either the tires or clutch would slip before the 7.5" exceeded it's torque capacity.
Ha...if only. Completely shattered the one in my Trans Am at about 60,000 miles. '83 WS6 (Recaro) with 305 4 Barrel rated at 145 HP and a T5. That was 2 days after I replaced the clutch. Went to do a smokey burnout and broke the ring and pinion.

Which brings me to my point. Some of us could break an anvil with a 1/4 pound ball peen hammer.

However, I've been hanging out on this forum since the courtave.talk days. This issue has been beat to death. I believe every thread has ended up with "if you don't put slicks on it, you'll be fine." Which is where I'm at with my 347 with an automatic and 7" wide street tires. I probably could break an anvil with a ball peen hammer, but I've not managed to break my 8" with my combo...and it gets some "spirited" use.

Phil

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good to hear you got it fixed. Myself and many others on this forum are running TJ/Alan’s 3rd members.
Dude - so why didn't you tell me about Alan? Where were you when I needed you? :)

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
When I first saw your post, I searched for "TJ" on eBay and everywhere else, with no luck. But since my rear gear problems were not solved, and no viable solutions (time and money) surfaced, I continued searching the interweb. I eventually found another shop selling complete 8" third members called "8 and 9 Inch Ford Rears", and lo and behold, their eBay store was "TJ1141". Even better, their phone was a NJ number, and I am in Eastern PA. So I called and spoke with Alan von Ahnen. He said we could do an exchange, but he thought he would first want to take a look at it because he thought the 3rd member setup was bad and he could fix it. Turns out, his shop was only an hour away in Pennsville NJ, so I made an appointment.

The 8 and 9 Inch Ford Rears shop is packed to the rafters with Ford differentials, new parts, old parts, buckets of bearings and bolts, and the shop is complete with all kinds of clever tools, benches and fixtures for doing rebuilds. He completely disassembled my chunk, installed a new ring and pinion gear (3.55 Motive Performance) and crush sleeve, put in new seals, and then spent quite a bit of time getting the backlash and contact pattern perfect (see pictures). Alan is a very entertaining guy, and he was kind enough to let me look over his shoulder as he explained many little nuances about doing the job right. Note to the file: there are a lot of special tools and "little tricks" to doing this job that are not disclosed in the Internet tutorials and YouTube videos - my hesitance to try this job by myself was well founded.

The back story goes something like this: 8 and 9 Inch Ford Rears was founded by TJ Rebert, aka, "TJ1141" on eBay. Alan worked with TJ Rebert for many years, and gradually acquired ownership interest in the business, first in the 8" portion, and eventually the whole business. Sadly, TJ passed away two years ago, but since Alan learned TJ's tricks of the trade, his legacy and reputation continues.

So, I now have a completely fresh third member - the whole job was finished with just a short drive and a morning invested. Better yet, I now know Alan von Ahnen; he is a stand-up guy - his price was fair and reasonable, and if the gear set continues to be noisy, he will fix it until it is right. I just doesn't get any better than that. If any of you VMF'ers need differential work, I highly recommend Alan. You can find him on eBay at TJ1141, and also on the web at www.8and9inchfordrears.com.

View attachment 758749 View attachment 758750

I had been talking with Alan last year on a new axle. He's about a hour and a half from me where I work in NJ. He extended the invitation to come to his shop. Right at this point plans for cancelled as I was going to be laid off from work. After I had started a new job and getting back on my feet I came across a good deal on a slightly used 3.55". I thought it might have been one of his and during our discussion, turns out it isn't. That didn't stop him from being very accommodating when I needed a few odds and ends. Great guy!

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
307 Posts
Great to hear that!! One more thing off your check list.

Chris

·
Registered
143 Posts
Great to hear that!! One more thing off your check list.

Chris
Yep - getting there.

Another part of the story that I didn't write about in my prior post ... at the very end of of my session with Alan von Ahnen, he asked me "have you been having any issues with driveshaft vibration?". (Go back and read post #39 in this thread, where I mention that problem specifically). He looked at the contact pattern of the universal joint inside the pinion yoke and said - "I think you have the wrong u-joint in here and it might be causing you vibration. It looks like you have the 1 1/16" u-joint cup, but you need 1 1/8 - it's going to rattle around in there". Lo and behold - he was 100% right - the u-joint cup was 1 1/16" and it has been that way since I've owned the car.

As it turns out, what I need is an unsymmetrical "conversion" u-joint, where the driveshaft cups are 1 1/16", but the pinion cups are 1 1/8". These exist, but they are not stock and not all that common. Those of you who are resto-moding their Mustang, but still using the standard 8" rear gear set should bear this in mind. All 8" Ford pinion yokes are 1 1/8".

Two problems solved with just one visit to Alan von Ahnen. I never would have figured this one out otherwise, and I probably would have gone to a lot of trouble futzing with pinion angle measurements / adjustments with no success.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts