Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me just say I've been lurking on here for a while and I think you guys are awesome.

Last May my wife was surfing craigslist for a new SUV for her when she came across an ad for a 66 Mustang coupe.

The ad had a few pics and said the car was not drivable and to make offer. She knew I’ve loved these cars since I was 16, and asked me if I wanted to go look at it. I didn’t get my hopes up because we weren’t in the market for a classic car.

We meet the guy after work at his house and the moment I saw her I was in love. He was daily driving it to work and the rear driver’s wheel fell off it on the way home. I looked at the damage, rear brakes need to be completely rebuilt, damage to the rear quarter, but other than that the car looked ok. Not perfect but ok.

My wife surprised me when she told me she’d keep her current SUV so we could buy the mustang. We made him a reasonable offer to him that I thought was fair, and he accepted. We came back the next night with a U-Haul trailer and brought it home. This is when the fun begins.

First order of business was getting the brakes fixed. Found everything I needed for the brakes except the backing plate. I was getting frustrated about finding one because there was a big car show soon and I wanted to take the mustang. My wife was in contact with the president of a local car club. He put us in contact with a guy who “lent” me a backing plate so I could get the car to the show. Where else do you find this commitment to help others, totally awesome!

Up second was the rear tire. The driver’s side was toast from its date with the rear quarter. So a new one was needed. Guess what, the BF Goodrich that was on the car were on backorder. Decided to try the Firestone Firehawks on the rear. I was shocked that when the Firestones arrived and they were taller and narrower than the BFG even though they were the same size. Not happy with the look of the narrow tire on the back so I will be replacing with BFGs.

Ok so now were getting somewhere. After getting it all back together we go to dinner with the in-laws to show it off. Drove fine to the restaurant and we were loving life. We go to leave and the battery is dead?!? Very odd because the drive to the restaurant was long enough that it should have charged it up if it was low. So we get a jump from my father in-law… and we’re on our way home. Half way home the headlights start to dim, things are starting to add up in my mind that it’s running off the battery. She gets us home and I check and sure enough the alternator isn’t working.

Did the trickle-charger thing to get us to and from local car shows while I spent what time I could trace wires. Turned out to be an unhooked wire behind the dash that I found while I was preparing to upgrade to a 3G alt. The car has a painless kit in it and the PO hacked it all up trying to “fix” the charging issue.

Next up will be the rear fender. I plan on doing the work myself with the help of a friend. Full quarter replacement, (toss me any helpful hints, tricks, or no-no’s if you’ve done this before), and fixing all the body imperfections. The car was put together to sell and the quality reflects that. It has bad body gaps and lots of stuff that just needs some TLC.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
On with the pictures

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
is NOW!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not working.
Stan
LOL yea I was trying to fix it when you posted.

Nadyne: (wife picked the name and I like it)
1966, 289 coupe
Org 2bl now has 4bl crb on it.
3 speed manual trans
Orginally a dark blue.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Wow - great looking car. Really like those wheels!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow - great looking car. Really like those wheels!
I love them too. I think they make the car.
You should have seen them when we bought it. They were so oxidized that it took me almost 2 hours per wheel to bring the shine back to them.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Just goes to show that the coupes can look as good as others. Looks great, and an easy start.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Very nice car. I like the different play on the Lamans stripes. I've been looking for one like her for the past few years now. I'm referring to your wife not the car. That is very unselfish of her and wish ya'll the best. Hope you both enjoy the car and this hobby.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Have the frame rail checked for warps. That buckle in the quarter looks like the result of the back of the quarter being forced up. Which means the frame rail and trunk floor needs to be pulled back down before the new quarter can be installed. How does the trunk lid close? Just before it latches, is the left side closer to the quarter than the right side? The entire rear of the car might have a slight twist to it.
It sounds worse than it is, About two hours time on a frame machine should fix it. (Only about 10 min fix, but time to set up the pull) Once the twist is out, that quarter might jump back into place and only a patch panel at the bottom might do the job.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,665 Posts
Lovely car and sounds like a fun project! You've got a lot of work ahead of you but it'll be worth it :)

What size are those Indy 500 tires? I'm about to change over from BFG to the Indys so if you don't want yours and they're the right size I'll take them... :p

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What size are those Indy 500 tires? I'm about to change over from BFG to the Indys so if you don't want yours and they're the right size I'll take them... :p
I'm going to keep them for the time being. My budget right now is next to zip for this car. (Forced to take a new job with less pay) so any $$ goes toward fixing stuff.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
That's a nice car, alright, but your real prize is that wife of yours. Congratulations on both!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts