Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your choice for spark plug brands???
I have to take motor mounts loose to change plugs in the 460. What does everyone recommend for Long Lasting plugs...

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Ive never been able to tell a difference performance-wise between champions and autolites....

Folks who have used the Bosch platinums say they stay clean and last.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have never had any luck with Champions. I worked on an old Allis tractor years ago, it was barely running and we changed the plugs with champions. It still ran rough, we checked the points, coil, carb, and was about to pull the head when we put two of the old plugs in the cylinders that were mis firing. It ran great. 2 of the 4 plugs weren't any good. A few weeks later I put plugs in my Goldwing and had 1 out of 4 bad. There will be no more Champions in anything I own...

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I use Autolite or Motorcraft platinum plugs on my 460s; I'm not really sure what the difference between them is outside of either black or blue stripes on the porcelain.

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
I've found AC Delco has a wider variety of heat ranges for Ford engines. I usually run one or two stages cooler.
Me too, as much as I hate running the AC brand, they have the widest temp. coverage I have seen.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Autolites -- the side of the road is littered with Champions. Saw that when I was still riding Harleys. I use standard Autolites and replace 'em every year. Even in my lawn mower the Champions fail more quickly. If you have a hot ignition, don't bother with platinum or some other over priced plug; the hot spark will blow the precious metal off. It might be a pain to replace these things every year since you have a 460, but in my experience it is worth it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Oh Now You Have Opened A Can Of Worms ! anyway I have always used autolite in the fords and champion in everything else. ::

1 - 11 of 11 Posts