Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were comming home from wally world and turned onto our private street. I pulled the car over and parked it and turned it off. I looked over at Nicole and said you want to drive, she is 13 1/2 yrs old and has not driven anything but her dads John Deer. Her eyes went wide and she was out of the passanger seat quicker then I could open my door ::. Needless to say she did great, a little heavy on the break, but ok. I cant remember the 1st car I drove but I can tell you she will never forget what she drove. Shes counting down the days until 14 yrs and 9 months. Just thought I would share. Dawn

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
14 years 9 months?! Wow, I had to be 16 in order to get a license way back when. Of course I drove farm machines from about age ten on. :)

John Harvey

·
Registered
683 Posts
We rebuilt the '68 for my 16 year old. Problem is, now he won't take it anywhere where he has to get out and leave it! :p I told him that's not too practical, and that it's really only a '68 coupe, nothing special, but those are his feelings right now.

So now I find myself chauffering him around nearly as much as I did before. I didn't seem to gain any relief. I am now considering getting him cheap transportation and reclaiming the Mustang as mine (and SWMBO's). He could still drive it on special occassions....defined as those where he doesn't have to leave the car. ::

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
my 3 kids all drove when they were 12 years old after driving my old Allis Chalmers '48 with crank around my 6 acre field. they could also plow, disk, and drag a garden with it. i remember the expressions on their faces first time driving.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
"14 yrs and 9 months"? Man, that's young. Even when I was a kid you had to be 15 to get a learner's permit and 16 for a license. Here in California now, you have to be 15 1/2 years old for a learner's permit and have completed both the classroom portion of driver's ed. and taken the written test at the DMV (and passed of course *LOL*).

That's really cool, though, her driving the stang as her first car (and REALLY brave of you). I tought my kids in a Honda, then let them move up to my '66. I remember the first time my son drove my '66 with the manual brakes, I thought he was going to run over a pedestrian (so did the pedestrian :eek:).

I don't envy you one bit. Teaching the kids to drive was one NERVE RACKING experience. SWMBO wouldn't even do it *LOL*. It's REALLY tough to sit there and pretend to be calm as they're driving down the sidewalk ::

Just wait until the first time your daughter drives off without you in the car ... man, that is one wierd feeling.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
That's great ! I learned to drive when I was 13 too - solo'd shortly thereafter (family necessity..) Yes, they had cars that long ago... LOL !!

I'll bet she'll be the talk of her class when school starts back up.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
What a cool Mom! And a terrific way to ensure that she will want american iron and share your interests!! Whoohoo! Another Mustang Grrl!

I gave my 66 to my youngest sister last year for her 14th b-day She is counting the days until she gets her license, and is helping Dad fix it up in the meantime!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mydaughter (15 1/2) got her permit about a month ago. The convertible was the first car she drove. I let her drive us home from the DPS office. Since then she has been driving the 1986 LX 4cyl coupe (cheep and dependable). I hope it is a memory she won't forget. I had to take my drivers test in a Gremlin and I still remember.

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
That's great. ::
I have a 16 1/2 yo boy. He gets to look at it and sit in the passenger's seat. :D :D :D
My son is 24 and I told him " DON'T EVEN LOOK AT IT" :: ::

I think that I will let him take the sportsroof out for a ride and let him see what we are talking about, you get hooked real quick on the ponys

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I learned to drive in our van. Then, when I got my license, I moved on to mostly driving our Corsica. When that died, we got a 2003 Kia Spectra. I'm glad it was a manual, which I didn't know how to drive, so I got to take my dad's '70 to work the next day. When I got back, he handed over the keys for me to keep. The '65 was in the garage going nowhere fast, and I think my dad still has a soft spot for it, so we just traded. I drive it everywhere, and leave it everywhere. Hardly anyone who doesn't know Mustangs knows that mine is one, so I don't think it's at too much of a risk of theft. I let my dad drive it once since I took it over. Man, I was panicking. I drive it so carefully, because I don't want to get it taken away, and I forgot what my dad can make it do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts