Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at 66 C Code Vert yesterday. It had a C4 manual and a manual top. Ok the body is straight, but has cancer in several areas. It also has a nice gaping hole behind the wheel well, so I will have to replace the rear quarter panal. The floor pans look good, seems they may have been replaced before, the car hasn't moved more then a few feet in 8 years, and needs a serious cleanup. I wasn't able to turn it over so I can't tell you how it sounded or drove, I think the starter may be bad. The battery was fine as it was able to power the lights. The dash is in good shape with the original stereo. They are asking $7500 for it but I don't think its worth that much.I wanted your guy's opinion on the car to see what I should counter with.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Personally I wouldn't go a nickle over $3000, and I 'd have to want it REAL bad for that.. The car has condition problems and unknown mechanicals. You have to be very careful with a car that has lots of visible rust - more hides where you can't see it. Nope, I'd keep looking.

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,753 Posts
That year is not my specialty, but I can't see it being worth more than 4k. Especially not running, assuming it is structuraly sound.

Let's see what the 'people' say...

How was the coupe you were going to look at?

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
2 K maybe for a sound rolling structural chassis. But you are talking a bundle for known bodywork. What about the unknown bodywork? Did you figure new paint??? Is the car otherwise complete? Will the interior need to be redone?

The engine could be 1 - 2 thousand to freshen up if need be. I can almost assure you the trans seals will leak after sitting for so long.

I have seen better running cars for 3500. The trick is to look at all the sources for old Mustangs and be the first one to answer the ad! I lost several cars by minutes!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The coupe was in great shape on the outside, but he had totaly riced the inside. Looks like he got a late model 70's mustang interior and managed to fit it in. Totally turned me off on that car.

G

·
0 Posts
i'd love to find convertibles for the prices these other guys mentioned. fact is, a decent, complete 65-66 V8 convertible with the rust you describe would probably bring more like $4500-5k

the car probably has a few things going for it, otherwise the owner wouldnt be asking $7500. i would assume the top is in decent shape as is the interior and the paint probably is presentable other than the rust.

I would counter-offer with $3500 and go from there. Keep in mind you might tick the guy off though and they might say... "well, i'll just keep it"

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I've become a fan of the saying "Sometimes the best deals you make are the ones you don't make." Doesn't sound like a very good platform car unless you own your own shop.

J. Boggs

·
Registered
470 Posts
I am with Charles on this one a convertable and a coupe are two different cars price wise. But I do think $7500 is a little high. Robert

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Did you do the water test on the cowls? C4 Manual?? C4 is automatic or did I misunderstand. What about torques and rockers? Those answers will give a better indication.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Tranny is a manual, I didn't do the water test, but its been under a tree for over a month so the cowl is probably clogged. I did look at the suspension witch seemed ok to my unintuned eye, but didn't get deep into the engine aside from a quick look at the carb, wires and hoses.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Charles,
I'm with you. I would buy every no-rust non running convert. for 3-4K. Bottom line is, clean, low cost projects are becoming very hard to find. Fastbacks and converts. have been going up for the last few years. All the guy can o is say "no", I don't worry about offending a person, since they don't worry about offending me with a crazy price to start with. If you know mustangs and can point out the problems without sounding like a jerk, you may get the guy to listen to you.
4-6K IMO.
Rob

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I just sold my 65 vert, converted v8, 4 spd car, in overall good condition with the exception of undisclosed rust from the previous seller (car was bought through ehay). My car needed floors, rockers, frame rails, etc. etc. Although I disclosed this to the buyer, he never looked under the car, never drove the car, and he didn't seem to concerned about hearing it run. He bought the car for $7500. Don't know what he was going to do with it. But it seemed odd, that he didn't look at the rust or drive the car. The amount of work it needed was beyond my abilities. But I see a lot of VMF'rs talking about the jobs they do. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
After having just done a vert. I guess the better question to ask yourself is how much more ($) are you willing to put into it? If you can get it running and all your after is a $7500 driver, then thats what you have. Even just minor work will push you to at least $10,000 real quick.
Now figure, depending of course how far you intend to take it. I'll keep the figures on the low side guessing that you'll provide a fair share of the labor.$500 for a front end work. $5000 for various cancer repair and paint. minor engine freshning say $2000. Brakes, chrome, interior pieces, exhaust figure another $1500-2000 ....And you still need to add the $1000 for decent tires and custom(?) wheels. As you can see you can very easily sink another $10-12 grand into it and "not" be concours.... Now your pushing $18-20 grand. Is that a figure you can live with? Knowing what a nice finished one is currently going for?

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
I was going to guess that you've got about $10,000 for repairs (known - or strongly suspected). A very nice one (say a high 3 or low 2) might be worth as much as you would have in it if you paid his price, but you are talking a lot of cash out the door before you are done.

Check out: http://www.vmrintl.com/Default.htm for rough estimates.

John Harvey

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I agree that its a question of "how much $ do you want to spend", but thats your own business. Legend65 and I are doing a '70 convertible as a driver for him, it sat in a wrecking yard for 7 years now, and has been completely picked over. Aside from that, the car has been hit in the front and very severly in the back. A lot will be cut and patched, along with strightening the RH front frame rail. That being said, you know it will take a lot of $ to put this beast back on the road, but (lucky for Matt aka Legend65) I am doing my work "pro bono". We'll keep ya posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts