Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Lets end the Octane / Premium Gas Debate

618 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Restomod66
Based on the feedback from my post yesterday about varying engine performance from different brands of gas, here is some info to end the debate:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm

Dan
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7,893 Posts

· Registered
2,598 Posts
that is some quality reading material. i know i run 87 in the 01 gt without any ping to save money .

but i still run premium in my 66 bc i have alot of timing into it so its just piece of mind i suppose.not to mention, now that i have the gt, i think i only put 30 or so miles on the 66 a week now.

i always laugh my butt off when my friends say hey i put premium in my car and i can feel the power difference....in a honda civic? ..sureeeee.

· Registered
6,777 Posts
i always laugh my butt off when my friends say hey i put premium in my car and i can feel the power difference....in a honda civic? ..sureeeee.
Actually, some years of the Civic si do require premium. So do the new Focus SVT, Cooper S, GTI, '94-on Integra GS-R, S2000 (11:1 compression ratio from the factory!). My older stock Civic si doesn't require it, but nevertheless it is only a tenth slower to 60 than my A-code Mustang...

· Registered
1,054 Posts
With newer PCM (processor control maodule) iginition systems, timing is a "window". The PCM polls the knock sensor for input and adjusts timing within that widow to prevent knock. Running premium fuel will allow you to be maximized within the timing contraints built into the calibration.

· Registered
2,598 Posts
yes, i know the si's and svt focus requires premium. i have a friend with a 98si, a friend with an 03 si, i also had a friend who had an svt focus until he totaled it anyways.

i was speaking in terms of your everyday crum bum civic such as a dx. they have a ton of civic models.

my friends new SI is a real dog though, it weighs a TON too. i have been in a saturn stick car, that was almost dead even with the si on many occasions lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.