Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got a speeding ticket while driving one of my Mustangs. Its funny, cops seem to ignore my fastback when I'm driving fast, they don't even give it a second look. Not so when I'm driving the 5.0. I was trying to catch up to my friend who had a 5 min. head start and I ran right into a speed trap on hwy. 17 in Charleston. He clocked me doing 81 in a 60 ( i know, that's a bit too fast) but he cut me a little slack and reduced it to 69 in a 60 since I didn't have any other tickets on my license. Maybe I should start using the '66 as my daily driver again...

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I noticed the same phenomenon.

When I drive my '68 Mustang, even upwards of 80 or 85 in a 60 zone, CHP and local police don't care. I drive that way every day on the way to work... For 2 YEARS and never got a ticket. I passed the same speed trap every morning at the same speed and never got pulled over.

Then one morning, my girlfriend and I took my Mustang into the shop for a tune-up and I drove her 1996 Mustang to work.. I passe dthe same speed trap, with the same California Highway Patrolman conducting it, and I got pulled over for 75 in a 65. What the hell?! It's BLUE. It isn't RED! I dunno...Police think "newer car, newer driver" I can see that.

·
Registered
391 Posts
In California a "speed trap" isn't legal. Evidence as to speed collected by a policeman conducting a "speed trap" is not admissible in court. If a CHP airplane times your car between two landmarks, and you are cited based upon that evidence, the evidence is not admissible in court. A policeman, timing you across two painted marks is a "speed trap." The law dates from 1923 and the CHP hates it and has fought it in court. Some public servants, they fight their own state laws.

Russ

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595962&a=12199293&p=44358030&Sequence=0&res=high.JPG

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Oh, I know that.

I fought my way out of a ticket that was given to me on the basis of radar detection because the officer who cited me was conducting the "trap" within 150 feet of a known city power transformer, which will cause a radar malfunction. I got off, but of course, I WAS speeding.. heh

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just some rambling on my part.........
First if you were speeding then well they caught you. So don't bitch. I have a friend who is a mounted CHP and he says he doesn't give tickets you earn them. Ya got to smile a little at that. He actually went out on a lonely country road with another friend and I with our motorcycles. We wanted to check the speedo accuracy of the bikes. He brought his radar gun and we did a few runs at different speeds with each bike. The both bike's speedos were 10% high (Honda & BMW) which makes us bikers types brag that we're going faster than we actually are. But the amazing thing was that the CHP friend actually would state the speed we were going before he even turned on the gun. He was always within 3 mph. This guy is good. He does it for a living. I guess all I'm saying is that they do their job and we have to be vigilent if we intend to speed. As for speed traps. I consider it a speed trap if the road is suddenly rezoned at a lower speed for no apparent reason other than to create a speed trap.
Oh I have one of those great looking '67s also. Still the best looking year for a Mustang, IMHO.

Michael G.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Oh well, has to happen eventually right? Least he was cool about it and didnt try to bust you for more than you were going. I was pulled over once by the CHP bike cop and all he ever did for 15 minutes was ask questions about my Mustang. No traffic question, never asked for my license or registration. I wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere or else I might have gotten rude but it definitely goes into my book as the strangest event I had with my 65 Coupe. I thought I was going to get a speeding ticket cause everyone knows that Red cars go faster! LOL Check my webpage for the pic of my first Mustang

Colt
http://www.geocities.com/cboomg/index.html
"No Cure for Mustang Fever"
"If I had known that getting married would slow down my Mustang restoration, I might have waited - getting married that is."

·
Registered
185 Posts
When I had my bright red 92 5.0 LX every cop I came across looked in my direction and I ended up with several speeding tickets. Sometimes they would just follow me for several miles, just waiting for me to speed. Later, when I had my Rangoon red(almost the same as the 92 bright red) 65 GT, I never even seemed to get noticed for anything other than having a nice car. No speeding tickets. I am not saying that I didn't deserve those tickets, I was younger and a lot dumber. Now i just take it easy and drive the speed limit.

69 M code, 4spd, Mach 1(project)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
LOL, happens to me too... The last speeding ticket I got was a couple years ago in my old Talon, but I was speeding so I just sucked it up and dished out the donuts. I've been pulled over twice in the Mach, and both cops were really cool guys... One time I spun some tire and he was around the corner, he just followed me into gas station I was going to and said "got on it a little back there, didn't you", laughed, and talked about my car and his old Camaro... The other time I was leaving my g/fs who lives in the sticks, and some guy (hey, it was dark, I couldn't tell) was riding my ass hard, so I punched it on a straight stretch, on came the lights... LOL, he thought it was hilarious and said if I popped the hood it might get me out of the ticket /forums/images/icons/wink.gif... But they love giving tickets to red Talons, DOH!

-Jason

'72 Mach 1 || '90 Talon TSi AWD
http://nosaj122081.tripod.com/parade3.jpg
"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm surprised your CHP friend didn't tell you about the California basic speed law, Sections 40800 through 40802 of the California Code. The part about traffic and engineering study conducted not more than five years previous and setting the speed limit at approximately what 80 to 85 % of the cars are driven.

Did he tell you "In any prosecution under this code upon a charge involving the speed of a vehicle, any officer or other person shall be incompetent as a witness if the testimony is based upon or obtained from or by the maintenance or use of a speed trap."

Not only that, but the California Supreme Court ruled in People v. Sullivan, 234 Cal.App.3d 56, in a case where an officer used a radar speed trap and "the officer's sensory perception of defendant’s speed" also was inadmissible since a speed trap was involved. In other words the officer was declared incompetent even though he could judge by sight the speed of a car, because he used a speed trap.

Have you noticed how those Photo Radar Speed Traps have pretty well disappeared. They were declared illegal in People vs. Goulet 13Cal,App.4th Supp.I. citing a speed trap and a "complete disregard for California's long standing Prima Facie Safe for Conditions principles and Precedence."

There are also cases where cities have set speed limits below the legal amount, and victims continued to pay the illegal fines, until someone bitched and fought their ticket. So I say yes, you may bitch. Fight that ticket, if just to keep them honest.

To top it off, it is also a Speed Trap in California for an officer to time a car across two highway landmarks to determine the cars speed. The CHP did it for years until someone with balls fought the ticket, and the CHP got burned. Their latest stated method is for the airplane to pace a car then use those timing marks to calculate their own speed. The CHP won a case using a helicopter at very low altitude to pace a car, then used those highway timing marks to calculate the helicopter ground speed. Somebody will figure that one out and tie another knot in their tail.

Russ

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595962&a=12199293&p=44358030&Sequence=0&res=high.JPG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts