Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Answer the question, then ask one of your own.

Who would eat a bug or stand on his head to sell you a car?

·
Premium Member
11,446 Posts
Art Grindle?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Cal Worthington.

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
I don’t know that one, but I can ask you who would love to paint any car, any color for $29.95.
Earl Scheib.
And which guy said you could have your car any color you want as long as it's black?

Reactions: Nos681

·
Premium Member
6,184 Posts
Our hero.
Well maybe old Henry actually said that, and then again maybe he didn't. It doesn't really matter though because that quote has been attributed to him so many times it may as well be true. (If you ask me though it's more likely that Ford salesmen coined that phrase.) No one ever quoted Ford ever actually saying it on the record. For twelve of the Model T's many model years (1914-1925) it was true, and it was all about production speed. It seems black was the only pigment that dried so quickly with the japanning process back then (think baked enamel in it's infancy). Faster drying time simply meant they could move more painted bodies to final assembly faster. There were other colors available, including black, before and after that black only era.

In my ever growing library of all things Ford is a book titled "Wheels for the World", Copyright 2003 by noted author and historian Douglas Brinkley. It runs over 800 pages and is a truly fascinating read, warts and all (his trusted thug Harry Bennett and favoring communism as just two examples). On a personal note I went to a party at Bennett's former house on the outskirts of Ann Arbor when I was in High School. It's still there as far as I know, a stone fortress featuring underground tunnels from the garage to the house and another to the shore of the Huron river behind (escape route to boat). There's a turret high up with frickin' gun slits to aim from at all points of the compass. Amazing.

·
Administrator
19,476 Posts
I agree with Cal Worthington.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts