Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
What is causing it to be offcentered?I cant tell.......

·
Registered
182 Posts
Looks like it's missing some retainer clips and needs to be pressed in further to install them (the one on the other side's clip can go in now, then press u-joint against to install 2nd)

·
Registered
971 Posts
I agree with you, he didn't finish the installation of the end clips.
he may already have ruined the U-Joint, if it's been driven to far.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My 66 driveshaft has internal clips, not the external clips like the later fords. So I don't think that is the problem, but I'm not sure what the problem is.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I agree with Feex. There's no retaining clips that hold the 2 caps on that the u-bolts go around ... only the stops in the pinion yoke.

Either the installer just totally F&#@~ed it up or has the wrong u-joint all together. The picture is kind of out of focus, though, and it almost appears that the cap on the right actually has a retaining clip on it. If that's the case, then that's your problem, as he wouldn't get the u-joint seated correctly if it has retaining clips on either of those 2 caps.

Oh, and most definately that will cause a shimmy. (more like a VIOLENT SHAKE *LOL*).

·
1,210 Posts
We RODE in that thing!!!! Seriously, I'm sure that this was causing the shakes that we felt when trying to dial in the rest of the motor install. Good catch. Hopefully it can be corrected easily.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ding Ding Ding!!!

Thats right! The ujoint has retaining clips on it. It shouldn't! There is no need for them as there is a machined nub at the edge of the yoke that holds the ujoint in alignment.

Take off the c clips and it fits perfectly! There was only a few blocks on the new ujoint so it should be fine.

PS!

Another useful tip for you folks out there is to plug in the voltage regulator. The alternator works much better with it hooked up! ::

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually it was the correct ujoint. The LSG just put the c clips on when he did not need to do so. He forced it in there and bolted it up the best he could. One side had the clip against the yoke so it was pushed out a bit. The other side was sitting on the nib and was too far out on one side.

All is well now. But I did have to jack the car up kind of high as I am not a long skinny guy. When I was a kid I didn't even need to jack up the rear of the car to do this! I just crawled under the car. OK it did have airshocks!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Hey, what did I win? (man, I LOVE it when I'm right) :D :: :D::

I can understand how an "inexperienced" Long Skinny Guy could make the mistake. After all, they give you 4 retaining clips ... can't go having parts left over and such ::

Glad it was an easy fix ... hope it didn't already trash the u-joint.

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
Let's see the corrected photo... cause it still looks to me like the problem I had a few years ago when MP shipped my ds with the wrong U-Joint then insisted on charging me for the right one... shipping too! <sarcasm> Great group of folks! </sarcasm>

1 - 20 of 22 Posts