Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'66 Coupe A code 289 with 4b carb. Nothing special, but she's my baby.

OK, so, admitedly, I did some work to the car without doing a ton of research before hand, lesson learned (isn't that why we do this though). Anyway, I started taking stuff apart and removing things without thinking too too much about it. Now that I'm close to putting parts back in, I want to make sure everything is straight and even so that when I put everything back on the car, I'm not off by a mile with my alignment (I know I'll have to do plenty of adjustments and such, I just figure if I can set myself up a little better, maybe I'll have more success).

How do I go about making sure everything is lined up straight, and everything is even, and such? Anyone have any good reference material?

I guess to piggy back onto this question, is it too late, with the floors and part of the firewall out, to transfer from jack stands to a jig?

Thanks in advance guys

-Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fenders are off, floor is out. passenger firewall/toeboard out. I suppose I'm talking about the frame, rockers, and engine bay. Just want to make sure nothing has shifted too badly.

·
Registered
637 Posts
How do I go about making sure everything is lined up straight, and everything is even, and such? Anyone have any good reference material?

I guess to piggy back onto this question, is it too late, with the floors and part of the firewall out, to transfer from jack stands to a jig?

Thanks in advance guys

-Rob
Search here for 'Liskey Diagram'. The diagram will be invaluable to helping you determine how true the car is and there are several good threads about it (along with the diagram). The shop manual also has some body measurements in it.

As for transfering the car from jack stands to a jig, no it is never too late. In the state of disassembly you are in, it might take a little forethought to avoid racking something during the 'transfer' though. Still, if you are concerned about how true the car is, making a jig is a good way to make sure it gets true and stays true.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, another one of those lessons I learned. I also started with the intention of doing the floor first, then realized that xyz needed to be done before abc could be done. Had I known what I know now, I would have cut the floors out in small chunks. I.E. remove small pieces of the floor where it meets the toe board. Replace toe board. Move to driver side, remove small pieces, etc. to keep the structure of the car. I'm way past that so I guess I'll just make sure its as aligned as possible now.

I appreciate all the advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts