Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a smart 42" LG mounted on the wall in a bedroom. About a week ago it started turning itself off then a couple of seconds later it would come back on. This would continue several times then would stay on. Last night it started the same thing again but would continue turning itself off and on until I pulled the plug on it. It would not respond to the remote to turn off. Is this thing worth repairing or should I just replace it. The reason I hate to replace it, is it has one of the best quality pictures I have seen, for what it is.
TIA, John

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I know some of the LG have a capacitor that goes bad that is easy to fix an less than $20. Here is an example.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Just google LG capacitor replacement.

·
Administrator
19,788 Posts
What the heck. Take the big TV you have in the living room and put that in the bedroom and get an even bigger TV for the living room.
With 4K. And Roku. :)

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Back when they were $5-600+ for just a 32" I replaced a capacitor 3 times in one.
If its a known problem go for it. Makes you feel like a hero.

I had another one go bad and all the info said replace the power board, I did, didnt see any popped capacitors and same results like yours it would just cut off. I stuck that one in the barn for about 2-3 years and before I was about to recycle it. I plugged it in and its been working as a TV only since without all the features like it won't work as a monitor or through the HDMI port, coax only.

Some have a small memory battery like a computer, let that go completely dead before you trash it and they might work again.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Mouser Electronics at 800-346-6873 is where to get capacitors for computer M boards. Just don't get the board hot when replacing a cap, a lot of boards are multi layers thick and can short out inside. Caps will cost pennies.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
A model number would help. Other than the fact that all TVs have a picture and sound, they're really all quite different inside.

If it's an older one, it might have a high ESR capacitor that somehow managed to escape detection after all these years. Most crap capacitors are out of the market by now.

A quick test for a lazy capacitor is to get a heat gun (on low) or a hair dryer (on high) and heat up the power supply board (the one with the AC socket) for about 5 minutes, then plug the TV in. If it comes to life, look at all the round cans with shrink wrappers. Any of them that are bulged on the top are bad.

In older LGs, some 470uf and 680uf capacitors could be bad but not show the common tell-tale bulge.

Post the model number and I can be more specific. Newer LGs have issues with the large Ball Grid IC in the middle of the main needing to be re-flowed.

John

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not wanting to get into a bunch of electrical voodoo, the LG is going to the curb. I'm looking at a few, specifically either a Sony or Samsung.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Yea you can replace a 42 for peanuts now brand new - less if you go to Craigslist. I did fix a my 42 a couple of years ago for less than $20. There are great youtubes and a bad bloated capacitor looks bad, easy to spot . There are companies on the Inet that will sell you a bag o capacitors for your exact TV for $12 in my case - good ones that won't blow again. Got my soldering gun and some solder and my 12 year old and I fixed the TV. Kinda fun but 55" for $300 these days, you must recognize that this is your "excuse" to step up brother...

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Seconding what dobrostang said - though it depends on where you are, Craigslist can be a great place to find 40ish" TVs. Seems like everyone is upgrading bigger and bigger and they're selling the smaller TVs for cheap

I got my year-old 42" LG a few months ago for $100. Works like a charm :) And when it dies (whenever that may be), I'm sure I'll have no trouble replacing it with another Craigslist TV in a bigger size, with a better picture, for the same price.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
If you decide to buy a used TV, just be wary of anyone wearing a trenchcoat, a fedora pulled down low, and standing next to a van outside a store. The usual greeting is, "Hey buddy, I hear you're looking for another TV". The TV's are probably stolen.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you decide to buy a used TV, just be wary of anyone wearing a trenchcoat, a fedora pulled down low, and standing next to a van outside a store. The usual greeting is, "Hey buddy, I hear you're looking for another TV". The TV's are probably stolen.
Or if it's in a box, the box will be full of rocks.
I've pretty much decided on a Sony 55" 4K LED HDR on sale at AAFES.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Buy a new one and fix old one to slow you down when you are working in garage lol

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Buy a new one and fix old one to slow you down when you are working in garage lol
LOL, I installed a 60 something inch TV in garage because the 32” TV was too small to watch football while I was working on the car. Yeah, not so much work... :frown2::smile2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts