Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... err Drive /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Well I got my drivers license on thursday so I legally allowed to drive alone now. Yipee!

I also got a two orders of parts in so that the stang would be ready to drive. I got new carpet, dash pad, rear seat divider, battery tray, and some small odds n ends. So I figured that it would take me about 2 or 2-1/2 hours, it took me 6 friggen hours, or basically the whole good part of the day /forums/images/icons/frown.gif. The reproduction carpet was crap, it didn't fit well at all, plus you have to cut your own holes in for just about everything. But the real problem was the dash pad, I ordered the reproduction pad from NPD but i think it was a huge mistake. The darn pad doesn't fit correctly at all. Nothing lines up, no holes for the screws, its flimsy. Well long story short I completely destroyed it far beyond repair. The rear seat divider was actually the best part of the day. It went in great and it looks good too! I decided that I would leave the battery tray for another day /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Anyway I'll stop ranting and actually ask a question. I am going to install a ignition kill switch. I think I can figure it out but i want to double check a couple things. I need to splice into the ignition wire. 1. Am I correct in thinking that it is the red wire? 2.Also what is the proper way to splice into the wire? I just don't want to screw anything more up.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
You can do a starter kill or ignition kill. I prefer the ignition kill because it is harder to bypass than the starter kill. I cut the pink resistor wire going to the coil and ran it through the contacts of a 12v relay hooked to the alarm system. I used crimp on bullet connections for the splice. I've had no problems with voltage drop to the coil, but if your wiring is already weak or you don't make good connections through the relay you may have trouble with getting enough voltage to the coil or pertronix if equiped. PM me if you need more specific help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts