Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My License plate light does not light up on my 71 Mach1. To be honest I don't know if it ever did.
I have replaced the bulb, still no light. My tail lights and brake lights work.
The socket looks really clean. Is there a separate fuse for the light or is my wiring?
Any advice will be helpful.

·
Premium Member
6,382 Posts
My License plate light does not light up on my 71 Mach1. To be honest I don't know if it ever did.
I have replaced the bulb, still no light. My tail lights and brake lights work.
The socket looks really clean. Is there a separate fuse for the light or is my wiring?
Any advice will be helpful.
Check your ground connection for it is good.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I am not too familiar with the 71, but my 66 has a bullet connector between the light socket and the trunk wiring harness. I agree that cleaning the ground connection is the best first step, after your clean the ground connection if the light still doesn't work you may want to make sure the bullet is still plugged in, and if it is that it is clean and tight.

·
Registered
954 Posts
First test is to see if your harness is connected. Turn on the headlights, use a test light fastened to a good ground to probe the center contact point (after the bulb is removed). If there's no power, then you'll have to start tracing the wire harness back.

·
Premium Member
12,047 Posts
All of the replies lead you to the fact that either:

A) There is no power to the base of the bulb.

OR

B) There is no ground between the light socket and the chassis of the car.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
On my 67 the wire for that light is inside the trunk and runs right down alongside the fuel filler bracket.

Being right there exposed in the trunk it got cut at some point and I didn't have a license plate light for who knows how long. Assuming they didn't change it between the years, look just inside the trunk and make sure it's still in one piece. The trunk's a dangerous place for stray wires to just be hanging around like that.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
The license plate light connector is inside the trunk by the filler pipe and the ground is provided through the bumper, brackets and bolts. Verify that it has power, and that the connection is clean. Use a standard automotive test light for that. If it's good, then check for power in the socket. If that's good, you need to establish a good ground path. The light assembly is held on with two screws. You could make a jumper from the light to one of the valance screws.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sanded the paint off the metal where the ground wire is connected. Reinstalled the ground wire and the h ed light back onto the bumper. Turned on the lights and the License plate light went on..
Thanks all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts