Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was poking around on my car today and I got underneath it just to check things are all okay.

I noticed the fuel line from the body to the fuel pump was quite badly cracked on the outside. Thing is I replaced all 3 rubber fuel pipes only about 2 to 3 years ago. And they have cracked already. I got the fuel pipe from my local car spares shop and it is rated for fuel injection pressure and modern fuel. And I have fitted the same again today to fix the problem. The pipe was still pliable and had not gone hard.

So is about 3 years about the life of rubber fuel pipe these days? A bit of a loaded question as there is fuel pipe and there is fuel pipe, and I am in a different country. Anyone had a similar experience?

Jeremy.

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
I think most modern things are junk now. Consider replacing with silicone instead.
Perhaps wrap the line with a protective sleeve or split loom and see if it lasts longer. I did these two things with vacuum lines for a 4x4 system and it has helped tremendously.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have found a lot of it is imported here. I buy Gates fuel line, and I got the barrier type. Only place I could find Gates was O'Reillys. Autozone and Advance had Made in Taiwan Fuel line. I used it on my other classic and it cracked in a few years like yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts