Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first off Happy Easter. I’ve got a question about hydraulic lifters and oiling thru the pushrod. If I understand correctly, the lifter receives its oil supply from the hole in the side of the lifter when the lifter is positioned on the base circle of the cam. What causes the oil to be pumped up through the pushrod? Is it from the oil pressure from the oil pump, the plunging action of the lifter, or a combination of both? The reason I ask is this, I’m rebuilding a 351M motor, not for my mustang, but for a 79 F-150 Ranger. I’m using the Tom Monroe book as guidance on the rebuild, and he says to oil the lifters thru the hole on the side until oil comes thru the top of the lifter, oil the sides, assembly lube on the bottom, then install in lifter bore. I did this with a pistol type pressure oil can with fresh oil and noticed some lifters were easy to oil, some took quite a bit of pressure to oil. Just wondering if this was normal. I’m using sealed power HT-900 hydraulic lifters and I’m concerned about if there is a problem with the lifters on the ones that were difficult to oil. Two of the lifters, new out of the package, had no oil hole in the top( picture attached). Just want to do this right the first time, any thoughts?
93B37400-D11E-421C-ABD9-42770D1290A8.jpeg

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Yeah, that's quality control at its finest. Got to have the hole on top so the oil can get into the pushrod and up to the top of the heads.

EDIT: I found the problem....it's located under the red half-circle I put on your second picture:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Exactly right on the QC; they are defective and should be returned or exchanged. Those lifters are missing the oil hole in the center of the pushrod cup that gets lubrication to the heads. Using them will prevent oil from getting to your top end.

I went through that long ago with a set of "anti pump-up" lifters that had the oil hole in most of the set only partially drilled. It looked like the drill bit burned-up on the production line and no one caught it for a while. I think they were Summit house label lifters. Unfortunately they looked normal at first glance and I installed and ran them.

·
I won a special award
7,917 Posts
Definitely a defective lifter. You'll burn up the drivetrain if you run it. It should look like this with the hole in the center on the lifter plunger.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I’m replacing these two, just unbelievable the quality control nowadays. Just wondering about some of the others being harder to oil up, anyone think that is a problem?

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Yea, I’m replacing these two, just unbelievable the quality control nowadays. Just wondering about some of the others being harder to oil up, anyone think that is a problem?
Check the holes on the harder ones to see if they are the same size as the ones that are working okay. You can also take them apart to make sure they don't have any extra junk inside.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I’d return them all and maybe buy a set of Melling , Comp Cam or something not from China if possible

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I had many bad lifters from Comp Cams a couple years ago. Rust pitting on the cam contact area and then had one with a bent orifice plate that put way too much oil out. Finally ended up with a set from Lunati that was OK. I think they are all a crap shoot at this point.

Whatever you end up with make sure to prime the lifters/system with a drill and visually make sure each one is putting out oil but not too much oil (my bad one with the bent orifice plate shot oil over 5 feet to the wall while priming with a drill).

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Definitely a defective lifter. You'll burn up the drivetrain if you run it. It should look like this with the hole in the center on the lifter plunger.
I think you meant "valve-train"?

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
I don't see any way that could be an honest mistake. If they could screw up the oil hole I don't think I would trust any of those lifters now.

·
Registered
36,519 Posts
Anyone who could screw up the placement of a center hole could screw up a free lunch. That's appalling poor quality. Wow.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I’d return them all and maybe buy a set of Melling , Comp Cam or something not from China if possible
I used to use melling as a younger person but when I ordered my cam & lifters from Schneider's the rep informed me they only sell made in USA lifters & mellings no longer are.

He said their oil pumps are still USA made.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I used to use melling as a younger person but when I ordered my cam & lifters from Schneider's the rep informed me they only sell made in USA lifters & mellings no longer are.

He said their oil pumps are still USA made.
I’ll have to look at the boxes at work tomorrow.

·
Registered
454 Posts
After a failed morel lifter cost me a full engine rebuild when the roller failed and tore up my cam and left needles in my bores, I switched to isky/johnson needleless. They are USA made, top quality....

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
The Melling lifters I looked at today were made in USA or Mexico

1 - 20 of 22 Posts