Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you to those of you that gave me advice that solve my rough idle on my newly re-built 302. With the advice and lots of small tweaking I now have a smooth idleing Sally.

My problem now is a lifter that is noisy for just a few seconds when I first start it cold. I solved this problem when my '89 GT was new by using pft (teflon treated) oil, but I'm afraid to put it into a new rebuild. Does someone have a quick fix? The engine seems to be fine otherwise.
Thanx,
Hawk

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
Run a quart of tranny fluid in the oil. If it's dirt clogging up the lifter, the detergents in the tranny fluid will clean it out. Change the oil relatively soon afterwards (i.e. don't drive for 3000 miles with the tranny fluid in there, just to be safe).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx,

I have already put some in the gas. It sure seemed to help the idle smooth out. I think I'll put some in the crankcase and see how it works.
Hawk,

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the reply. I think I'll try the mystery oil first. If that doesn't work. I'll try the transmission fluid. I've used them both before in older engines with mixed results. I must say overall I've had good results with the mystery oil and I feel that it's probably safer.

Hawk,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts