Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Friends

Well I have been living with this annoying sound on my storage driver. When i goes out for a run or at idle. We have the tick sound.

I did a seafoam treatment to the oil in and the fuel tank. Ran a complete treated tank full at idle. That introduced a new sound that on anther video sounds like the forum consensus was a leaky header gasket. It was n air sound like air sudden air shot. That sound with miles of use has dissapearred . leaving only the original tick.

I think this is a bad lifer.

I preformed a compression test and leak down test. I can confirm air out the dipstick. and putting my head on the crab ..... leaky valves. when the compressor was off and quiet. Psi's on pistons ran from 90-105 mostly and one piston 150 ! either a repaired piston or my error.

I have pulled spark plug wire one at a time to see if i can find an bad exhaust value and no results in the sound change when engine running.

I have preformed a quick engine running valve adjustment to see if I could change the sound. No success.

Is this a lifter or a bearing and how would I test a bad lifter?

thx !

·
Registered
746 Posts
It sounds a lot like a spark arcing. Double check all your plug wires at the cap and plugs. Maybe even inside the distributor cap for moisture/oil film or carbon tracks.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats not the problem. Electronics are sensitive to the emissions . But i have confidence with all the replacement of wires and distributor that this it mechanical. It's a 50 year old engine, with me in storage 30 years.

Just wondering if there was a mechanical test I overlooked on the lifters or valves?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Malstrom, from here, it sounds electrical. But, knowing that sound doesn't always transfer well over the net, have you done a leakdown test to see if anything is getting past a valve ? If you did a leakdown and got air out the intake, you have a leaking intake valve, out the tailpipe, you have leaking exhaust valve. Doens't sound bearing~ish from here. Bearings are usually a deeper kindofa 'thud ' sound. And lots of lifters are just noisy. Nature of the beast sometimes. LSG

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
Does a Vac gauge reveal any abnormality? It does sound like an arc to ground, though.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
I hear all kinds of stuff. Can't distinguish which is what.

To test a hydraulic lifter to make sure it is still pumping, just loosen the rocker nuts, one at a time, swing the rocker arm to the side and push on the push rod. With some effort you should be able to depress the lifter.

It may not be the lifter though. It may be a cam lobe flattening out or excessive lifter wear. As long as you are loosening the rocker arm, check the rocker and push rod too to look for anything odd, excessive wear or wear marks, push rods not completely straight, whatever.

"I have preformed a quick engine running valve adjustment to see if I could change the sound. No success.". Lifter preload on all Ford engines that I am aware of calls for setting the lash with the engine off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts