Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as posted before i was in the process of removing roller tipped rockers that i could not quiet down when i found what i thought was a collapsed lifter, after removing the lifter i found the bottom was worn away almost a 1/4 inch and the ones on either side of it are chipping away, this motor was completly rebuilt last year and i could never quiet the lifters down, i phoned Comp Cams and they told me that there was probably contamination in the lifters from the rebuild, i replaced the lifters and still noisey, we put about 50 miles on the car and it started to rap really loud, i had the engine builder check it and he told me that the flywheel was loose, i pulled the tranny and the flywheel was torked to spec., he towed the car to his shop and found that the oil gallery plug that is behind the timing cover had came out, they tapped and threaded the hole installed a threaded plug and also replaced the main bearings, i drove the car home and put it up for the winter and when i took it out for the first time i found the lifter problem, this motor has less than 100 miles. my question is would the missing plug have caused the lifter problem, these three lifters are in the rear of the left bank ( drivers side ) as of now the cam and lifters have to be replaced and i am trying to get it covered under warranty, but may have a problem unless i can get some information that would help me prove that the loss of oil due to the missing plug caused the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Yes, it probably would because all of the oil that is supposed to ge going to your cam and lifters was gushing from the plug that came out (or was it forgotten?). That means you didn't have any lubrication to your lifters, or rockers for that matter. You probably overheated a few of those, too.....

·
Registered
647 Posts
I had the same issue on a Ponitac engine. Pontiac oil gallery plugs are staked in and I would guess that Fords are too. I would guess the builder eaither forgot one or failed to stake it properly.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Have you had low or no oil pressure at any time since the rebuild ? That would be a first indication. At any rate, the gallery plug coming out would have resulted in a failure of the parts you describe in fairly short order after the plug came out. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts