Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I'm going to be replacing my motor mounts soon and wondered how wise it is to put a board between the floor jack and the oil pan to lift the motor. Anybody have advice about this (I don't have a hoist).

Also, anybody tried TCP's new motor mounts yet?

Thanks all,
Paul

·
Registered
865 Posts
Take it from the voice of experiance, Don't not directly lift on the pan, You can use the front of the pan but make sure you put a board in place that extends beyond the pan in both directions. Trust me in this, I won a doofus award for this one.

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
As long as you use a board at least as wide as the oil pan, as NuHobby said, it'll be fine. I've done it many a time, and never had a problem doing it. Just lift high enough to R&R the mount, and don't go crazy on the jack. I also recommend just doing one side at a time.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've done it the way NuHobby stated as well with no ill effects.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
i've lifted an engine many times by the oil pan. Watch out how you put the load by the oil drain plug. you might want to trim the wood to not push there. Since its raised it might to much of the load.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,851 Posts
We decided to get fancy one day and cut up a foot long piece of wood 4X4. We trimmed one end to fit in the "cup" of a floor jack and cut a "vee" in the other end to fit on the harmonic balancer. It works great on all kinds (and brands) of rear wheel drive vehicles. No worries about denting the pan and very handy if you need to pull the oil pan. Surely there's a piece of 4X4 laying around somewhere you can grab.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts