Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is stripped of all items (unibody only) and the rotisserie is under construction. I need some suggestions as to how to lift the body up to the rotisserie to attach it. Anybody who has done it before, feel free to chime in. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The easiest way is with a 2 post lift. If you have a means of moving the car to a place that has one this is the safest way. It can be done with an engine hoist, but you'll need to be very careful. If your rotisserie cradle part is full length (which means you have runners connecting the front and rear mount points together - not just to two engine stand style mounts) you can attache to the cradle and keep from flexing the body. If you don't have a full cradle, be very, very careful where you attch to for lifting - sheet metal doesn't respond to pulling very well. Send me private e-mail and I can send you some more info.

Dave ::
[email protected]

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had my body on saw horse's. I just keep adding blocks,front then back, to raise the body enough to bolt onto the rotisserie. If you have two people you can lift the front of the body enough to attach it to the front of the rotisserie. Just be careful that you arent trying to raise the body to far to fast.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Tenaha is right down from my grand parents/aunts and uncles in Garison, Texas. Brings back good memories.

I built a rotiserie my self and hooked the car up to it on its wheels letting the the car support its own weight. This could be done on Jack stands as well. Once the car was bolted and supported by the rotiserine at low height, I removed the wheels, suspension and rear end. Any way, I used a cherry picker/engine hoist to lift the car up the rotiserie one side at a time, until I had the desired height. Slow, but it works. I have seen people weld a come-along or ram jack to the rotiserie itself, but that is more expensive and cost was my main concern.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Just like a previous post, I had my body on saw horses. Then, lifted the rest of the way with a couple of friends. The front you could probably lift by yourself. The back needs about 2 to 3 strong backs.

Be careful and good luck

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It did not even occur to me to build a crdale for the entire car. I was thinking of using a shop crane to lift the front end to height and attach the back end with some chains to a front end loader I have access to. Comments/suggestions? TIA

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Installed a 5/8 - 3/4" diam "meat hook" through the tie beam over the garage door. This is a CBS stlye home with reebar reinforced concrete beams over door openings. Friend drilled it with an impact drill and it took about 5 min. I was told to pray we didn't hit steel. We didn't. For rotiss install, used the hook with a comealong and raised it up to attach. It was a two person job.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I built my own rotisserie and at the top I used 11/2" tubing and two rollers out of two snach block pullies and cut the tubing so that it would let the rollers set inside of the tubing I than drilled a 1/2" hole for a 1/2" bolt. ON the cross arm I welded a lifting eye and ran a 3/8 cable over the top which I attached to boat wenches welded on each end of the rotisserie at a lower point on the upright I than attached the cross arms to my 67 coupe and cranked up the car one end at a time alittle at a time it works greatand you don't have to worry about getting the car jacked up high enought to attach your car and maybe have it fall on you or somebody helping you .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts