Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to put Zray’s crossmember on my car. So a thought occurred to me. Is it reasonable to jack up the car and put jack stands on the rear axle and the front frame rails then work under the car.

Are there safety issues I’m missing?

Allen

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,078 Posts
Allen it's totally up to you if you want to raise the front and the rear of the car. But you only need to raise the front. Best place to put the jack stands are right on the rocker panel pinch welds directly under the door post. To protect the paint finish I take an old pair of leather gloves put them on the top of my stands and run a few wraps of electrical tape to hold them on. One thing we were taught in trade school was to shake the car after we put it on stands.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,620 Posts
That's how I do it most of the time. I have never liked crawling under cars and other heavy things that could potentially fall and kill me. It's not a phobia or anything, just makes me take extra care when I do it. I found rubber protectors that go on my jack stands to cushion things. They were pretty cheap.

Reactions: Daisy and gt350sr

·
Registered
535 Posts
Is it reasonable to jack up the car and put jack stands on the rear axle and the front frame rails then work under the car.
That's my preferred method for jack stands. Just don't start rocking & rolling too much under there, it doesn't take a lot to tip those small bases when fully extended.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have 4 Rhino Ramps (~$40/pair). Drive the car up on two in the front. Jack up the back (under the differential) and slide two more ramps under the back tires (reverse direction so no potential of rolloff). Then, for a safety backup, put jack stands under the front frame rails and on either side of the axel. Takes about 10min.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Allen it's totally up to you if you want to raise the front and the rear of the car. But you only need to raise the front. Best place to put the jack stands are right on the rocker panel pinch welds directly under the door post. To protect the paint finish I take an old pair of leather gloves put them on the top of my stands and run a few wraps of electrical tape to hold them on. One thing we were taught in trade school was to shake the car after we put it on stands.
We've must have attended the same school .......I still do that on my two post lift.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I have 2 spare tires and put them under the pinch welds, one on each side with a couple 2x8's on them. if the car falls, they will keep it high enough for me to wiggle out.

Reactions: Mustang4SF

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
Another vote for pinch welds with slotted rubber blocks, unless I'm not working on the suspension, then I "ramp it". I got some H-F ramps that are 2-piece so the "ramp" portion can be removed after running the car up onto the "stand" portion. Love 'em.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
You'll notice EVERYONE mentioned using jack stands or ramps in their replies. This should be jacking 101 info, but NEVER crawl under a vehicle supported by just a jack. When I was a kid, there was a guy down the street working on his car in the driveway. Story goes his wife got mad when he didn't come in for dinner, so she yelled at him a few times to come in. When he still didn't, she finally went down later in the evening to the driveway only to find the jack had failed and he'd been crushed by the weight of the car- dead. Creepy to think the poor guy just laid there all day..

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Ya, a good hip check once its up. Most of time when Im taking a wheel off I slide them underneath for good measure even using jack stands.
Look at how much your floor flexes up when you jack there or put the frame rail on a jack stand, plus a they can dent the rail.

Hint for the X-member. Use one of the new bolts to drive out the LCA bolt then use the other new bolt to drive the other way and it never moves out of whack..:sleep:

·
Registered
512 Posts
I had my coupe up on four jack stands for a couple of months when I started working on it. It turned out that one of the jack stands was one notch lower that the other three. It was pretty well balanced over those three until I crawled into the driver's side back seat and it shifted. I'm sure it was less than an inch, but I did pucker up a bit until I realized the car wasn't falling off the stands and was just rocking between the two 'low points'. I got the jack stands all level after that.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
You'll notice EVERYONE mentioned using jack stands or ramps in their replies. This should be jacking 101 info, but NEVER crawl under a vehicle supported by just a jack. When I was a kid, there was a guy down the street working on his car in the driveway. Story goes his wife got mad when he didn't come in for dinner, so she yelled at him a few times to come in. When he still didn't, she finally went down later in the evening to the driveway only to find the jack had failed and he'd been crushed by the weight of the car- dead. Creepy to think the poor guy just laid there all day..
Or the poor guy working under his Jeep in Pahrump, NV, when an earthquake hit and the Jeep fell off the jack. The one picture I've seen shows a cinder block and what looks like an old bumper jack were used.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Or the poor guy working under his Jeep in Pahrump, NV, when an earthquake hit and the Jeep fell off the jack. The one picture I've seen shows a cinder block and what looks like an old bumper jack were used.
I use jack stands on the rockers if I lift the car in the front. The floor jack remains and I also place the tires underneath the car. But living in the Bay Area, the scenario of an earthquake while I am working under the car freaks me out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts