Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pulled my in-line 6 out of our 67 for a cleaning and paint job.
I’m not pulling the oil pan since I fear the new seal leaking. This one is tight. Head gasket is solid so I’m not opening the motor. It ran strong.

I’m replacing the water pump and pretty much everything that bolts to the motor. Alternator is relatively new so it’s staying.
I pulled the exhaust manifold and cleaned that up.
I want to replace all the bolts and nuts as well as the hose fittings throughout the engine

is there a guide for this ? A list of sizes and thread counts ? A website that can help me. I asked John’s Mustang in Houston but they did not carry a bolt kit

Any input would be appreciated

·
Registered
271 Posts
AMK makes a kit it looks like:

NPD carries it, as well as others I'm sure:

The one thing I will say is the AMK kits are very good, and I've bought a bunch of kits, and individual "kits" like Bellhousing bolt kit, etc.

Some of the bolts I take off I know are original, and the AMK ones are little different. Most of the time, they are spot on. I'd buy the AMK kit, and use what I wanted out of it.

Whatever you do, don't throw the old ones away, I always keep them for reference, or in case I damage one of my replacements in the future. I clean some bolts, and blast and parkerize (oxide coat) them.

Of course I removed my toploader, and I found 4 different bolts holding it to the bellhousing. Needless to say, I used the AMK kit there. Two were clearly from the hardware store.

Jason

·
Registered
271 Posts
P.S., If you go to AMK's site you can find the whole list, and then the individual AMK numbers. I usually just google AMK, the part number, and NPD, and find the item to put on my next NPD order. NPD carries nearly every one of their bolt kits, I just can't always find it easily on the website (I still like a paper catalog, I think I have 3 of theirs, one in my daily car, one in the bedroom, and one fishing around the garage...)

Jason

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P.S., If you go to AMK's site you can find the whole list, and then the individual AMK numbers. I usually just google AMK, the part number, and NPD, and find the item to put on my next NPD order. NPD carries nearly every one of their bolt kits, I just can't always find it easily on the website (I still like a paper catalog, I think I have 3 of theirs, one in my daily car, one in the bedroom, and one fishing around the garage...)

Jason
Thank you very much. I guess any guy with copies of the NPD catalog is a friend of mine. Lol. But seriously, I’ve never owned a old car or even worked on a car but its time to learn. I may be in touch in the future.
Thanks again. That’s exactly what I was looking for....

·
Registered
954 Posts
If you're talking "all the bolts", you may have issues with leaks after replacing them. The head bolts are torqued and to replace them they have to be loosened. Doing one bolt at a time might work but that's still a gamble.. My question: why are you wanting to replace the bolts?. If they're not rusted or damaged, they don't weaken with age.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just go to their website and order a catalog. Or better yet order your bolt kit and they will put one in the box with the order if you request. They are one of the premier Mustang suppliers, at least in my opinion. Get other catalogs too, I have Classic Industries, and Virginia Mustang too. I buy a good bit of stuff from RockAuto too. But for a bolt kit, you need to go with one of the Mustang suppliers or order from AMK.

I'm blessed that I am about 1.5 hours from NPD's Florida location. I've driven there, but usually just order, and get it the next day via UPS Ground or the following since I'm so close.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input.
I’m not replacing the head bolts. Just carb, manifold, alternator etc. hoping to ala carte the bolts I pulled off.

·
Super Moderator
10,054 Posts
So I pulled my in-line 6 out of our 67 for a cleaning and paint job.
I’m not pulling the oil pan since I fear the new seal leaking. This one is tight. Head gasket is solid so I’m not opening the motor. It ran strong.

I’m replacing the water pump and pretty much everything that bolts to the motor. Alternator is relatively new so it’s staying.
I pulled the exhaust manifold and cleaned that up.
I want to replace all the bolts and nuts as well as the hose fittings throughout the engine

is there a guide for this ? A list of sizes and thread counts ? A website that can help me. I asked John’s Mustang in Houston but they did not carry a bolt kit

Any input would be appreciated

View attachment 755223
I like the old school rims!

·
Super Moderator
10,054 Posts
They look like Centerline knock offs from the 80’s.

Any more car pics?
You have the best production year and model too,....lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want to replace the hose inlet nipples on the motor for the heat and wherever else there is a replaceable nipple for a hose.

On a second note Im considering just getting rid of the heat all together..... any thoughts on this ? i dont ever plan on using the heat system and I prefer a cleaner look with less hoses if possible. Is this a bad idea ?

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
I see your Shop Foreman in that first picture.
Make sure all changes pass the sniff test !!
Depending on where you live, you may not need heat, and the next caretaker may, so just don't throw anything away, or leave the box in place with no core and hoses so you can at least direct incoming air where you want it. My Supervisor loves the floor vent when the windows have to be up.
20190903_115107.jpg

Reactions: 67Pawling

·
Registered
271 Posts
Don’t get rid of the heat. Once in a while you need defrost. Not just for ice but when it’s cool and raining sometimes you have to run it. My father had a 58 Vette with factory heater delete. It had those problems.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
can I dress up those hoses ? Also where can I get hose fittings for the engine ?

the more I look the smaller my bank account is getting lol lol

1 - 20 of 45 Posts