Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I’m coming back to the well for some more help. I have a 69 Coupe 302/C4.

I am having issues with my turn signals. They were working fine about 2 weeks ago and today I went out to start her up and I noticed some issues. I checked all grounds and bulbs and they seemed to be in working order. It was 15* in my garage so I checked rather quickly haha.

When I turn the Left TS on the front marker works as it should and the rear marker doesn’t hardly flash, it almost pulses.

When I turn the Right TS on the front marker barely works and the Left marker blinks in unison with it but also barely blinking. The rear TS blinks properly, but all of the other lights lightly pulse too.

When I turn on the 4 ways the Left front and Right rear work as it should. The Right Front and Left rear barely blink.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
69 uses two flashers, one for the directionals and one for the emergency flashers. Unlikely they'd both go at once. I'm leaning toward turn signal switch... and I feel for ya. The aftermarket switches are junk. I'm on my 4th.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The turn signal switch seems to have two sets of contacts for each signal. There's one set when you click the lever all the way and another set for the "lane change" position. Check both situations and see if anything changes. Check for loose wires and shorts by banging on the steering column.

·
Registered
34,326 Posts
You have a bad ground at one of the lamps or a bulb with a burned out parking lamp filament. Turn on the parking lights and check all the bulbs, front and rear, for operation.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the feedback, I’m sorry I didn’t reply. Dealing with the unexpected loss of my step-dad. He’s the one that got me into cars, some of my best memories are of him teaching me to wrench on his 69 GTO. So it’s hit me hard.

I will report back my findings in the next day or so. Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
69 uses two flashers, one for the directionals and one for the emergency flashers. Unlikely they'd both go at once. I'm leaning toward turn signal switch... and I feel for ya. The aftermarket switches are junk. I'm on my 4th.
I literally changed my TSS out this fall because I was having similar issues. After I switched it out I had no issues until this started happening. Could it be the TSS AGAIN!?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The turn signal switch seems to have two sets of contacts for each signal. There's one set when you click the lever all the way and another set for the "lane change" position. Check both situations and see if anything changes. Check for loose wires and shorts by banging on the steering column.
I checked both of the contacts and it’s no change. I followed each TSS wire to the connection and no issues there. The TSS seems to be fine and it’s only 2-3 months old.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have a bad ground at one of the lamps or a bulb with a burned out parking lamp filament. Turn on the parking lights and check all the bulbs, front and rear, for operation.
I checked all bulbs and all are operating. I replaced the front turn ones for the heck of it but no change.

parking lights is just pulling the knob out half way correct? I rechecked all grounds and they seem to be all connected properly and secure.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing I did was swap out the 50 year old connectors and replaced them with this. I checked all the connections and they are secure. I’m pulling my hair out on this issue!

·
Registered
640 Posts
You mention "marker lights" repeatedly. The marker lights are on the side of the car at the front and back, and don't blink on a 69, but they do on its brother car the 70. Did you really mean direction signals?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes that’s my mistake. I do mean the turn signal lights not the front/rear side markers. Those work as they should ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Coming back to close the loop on this in case anyone else runs into a similar issue.
I went out and used some WD 40 soaked Q-tips and re-cleaned and inspected all the contacts while I wiggled them to break free. I did this on every single light connector. Lo and behold that fixed my issue! So now all of my lights function as they should and this labor of love is ready for the road come spring!!!

thanks for all the help again Mustang Family!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts