Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone who sells new lighted grille horses, or do you have to find a good used or NOS piece? I wonder, because my dad said he might get me one, he saw it somewhere, but i don't want him spending huge amouts of money to get it.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I see them periodically on e b a y. Don't know about pricing.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
There was a run of very poor-quality reproductions a few years back. Every now and then one of these will resurface and be advertised as "NOS." I can't tell you what to look out for exactly; but I have heard this story several times from different sources. Buyer beware!

Your best bet of landing a "real" one is probably to buy used.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Try John's Mustangs. They used to have them.

·
Registered
759 Posts
No one sells them new but there are some bad repro out there that people say are original.

The real lighted pony is has a flat plastic cover. The repro's have a sculptured pony. If you run your hand on the face of the platic cover you can feel the pony.

I seem some repro's selling for some $$ on Ehay. I feel sorry for the people who buy them thinking they are original.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
When I worked at a Ford dealer years ago
the parts manager told me that he had a
box of 12 that he had ordered back in the
60's and only sold a couple of them.
He ended up trashing the rest of them!
If only we could turn back the clock!!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I presume this is a repo? 2425480121
For one thing, did they even plastic wrap stuff like that back then?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yes, that is the el cheapo style. Mine is a housing that mounts in the corral and lights behind the exisiting pony..The box that it came in said Silhouette.
blkstlln

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
There are 3 types out there- 3 originals and 1 pathetic repro of an original!
1. Most common - This slides in behind the horse, inside the corral (Like blkstlln). I've seen these in white, yellow, blue, & green. Most common are white & yellow. They run over $100 and can double if still in the box. Very few still have intact wiring.
2. There was one that rplaced the horse and filled in the whole corral. These are the ones being repro'd. Originals were heavier plastic and the horse was silver. Repros are cheap, thin plastic and the horse appears to be spray painted silver. They are basically junk!
3. Rarer is the ceramic one that replaced the horse and bolted in the same 2 holes. It was a ceramic rear with a milky plastic horse with a light inbetween, that lit up the horse. Mine was $125 10 years ago, in the box. I've only seen 1 other of these, and none ever on a car. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts