Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pros/cons of installing a supercharged lightning eng/trans in my 67 fastback.(can it be done?)Love to see some pics if someone has done this swap.Any feed back would be too cool.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
What's the vertical height of the engine, will it require cutting the hood?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well, I think the new Shelby mustang coming next year will have a 5.4 engine with a supercharger a little bigger than the pick-up [lightning ] version. If you can do away with the shock towers somehow, then I think you might have a chance to make this a go?? Regards to the height of the engine, you could always cut a hole in the hood & put a scoop on it ?? Anyways, before you begin, know the measurents of the 5.4 then measure your engine area a dozen times,before you begin. I've done some things in the past like this & I should have measured 2 dozen times before i began. This is radical surgery, good luck.--S.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Depends, are you referring to the early lightnings with the 351w or the later mod motors? You'd have to do the MII front suspension conversion and will more than likely have to alter the firewall and trans tunnel to get it in there correctly. With that much work, you would be money ahead getting the 351w roller block from a mid 90's truck/van and put a stroker kit in it. If that isn't enough then go with a turbo/supercharger kit. Unless you are going for the cool factor of the mod motor, you could put that money into a small/big block motor and make it fly!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Anything is possible, but if a 4.6L cobra engine is tight, a 5.4L Lightning motor will be REAL tight.
The Lightning engines are SOHC 5.4L, so even with the extra deck height, it would still be a bit narrower than a Cobra 4.6 DOHC. Height is the issue though, the blower uses a top-mount air inlet for the throttle body. If you were to go with one of the aftermarket blowers available to bolt to the Lightning intake, you can get a rear/side air inlet that will gain you about 4 inches of hood clearance. In any event you will be needing some sort of large raised section on the hood, or a hole in it. ;)

cheers
Ed N.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts