Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That pretty much says it all. Joe (65fstbk) took a break from the rigors of flea market shopping to drop by and give me a hand… and he even brought the beer!! Hell of a nice guy. Knew him all of 30 minutes before he crawled under the car to start. You just can’t get that from most people these days

So it started. Joe and I were flirting with the idea of just LIFTING it into place (seeing as we had the hoist to work with as well), but thankfully my dad came out and beat me in the head and suggested I use the tranny jack. Joe and I lifted it onto the jack, and lowered the car onto the transmission. It went in very smoothly. It fit right in place. Slid RIGHT between the headers. We jiggled it around and used a pair of long bolts in the bottom boltholes to get it lined up and support the front (along with a cinder block and a 2x4) so we could drop the tranny jack to put the crossmember on. It is important to note that most of our time was spent in the 2 foot space under the car while my dad worked the lift and threw tools at us.

***Note to Windsor-Fox. It is very easy to drop a nut into that crossmember when installing the bolts. Please fix that. Also, I had to turn the bolt around and put it in from the front because the washer would NOT fit through the hole in the rear of the crossmember.***

After we laid on our backs for what seemed like 4 years underneath a tranny that could fall and crush us, we got the bolts started and the whole thing back up in the air. My arms are STILL sore from holding that damn thing up…although Joe did most of the holding.

After the crossmember was in, we hoisted it back up, put in 4 of the bell bolts to draw the tranny forward and the torque convertor bolts into the flexplate. I put on one torque convertor nut to be sure the torque convertor didn’t slide back into the bell. After reinstalling the emergency brake cable (removed to get the tranny in) and ruining a u-joint while trying to put the yoke on (a needle fell over and got crushed along with my finger), we called it quits and head back to the house. Joe broke out some ice cold Budweiser, and we shot the moderately brisk breeze until about 10pm, where Joe recognized that his SWMBO’s displeasure would start growing exponentially by the minute if he didn’t leave.

Awesome. I should be able to finish it up tonight. Gotta get a dipstick and tube along with a few dozen quarts of tranny fluid. I know they FIT the new torque convertor, but should I replace my torque convertor nuts, or just dab them with loctite and be done with it? They are originals. I am thinking a dab of loctite should be fine.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got to thinking about it... I still need to fashion a mount for the cable. I THINK I am gonna relocate the throttle return springs and use that mount to bolt the cable on, but I dont know if it will be in the proper position yet.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
You can reuse the torque converter nuts. Ask Johnpro about the cable as he is the expert in this area...Do not start the car and add fluid until you have a cable adjustment that is close to correct, its toooooo darn easy to fry the tranny if that cable isn't adjusted correctly...

·
Registered
910 Posts
I cant wait to hear a full report on the setup. I have the exact same mod in mind and I want your results. If you get a chance, post a detailed re-account of the install and include parts needed if you can.
I am excited for you, Good job with it so far.......

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am gonna do a write-up on the install after it is all said and done (with pictures and parts list).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts